Welcome to the Clean Keto 28-Day Jumpstart to Health Challenge. I’m so excited you are here and have taken the first step to living a healthier lifestyle.
The next 28 days is to challenge you to create better everyday habits that will last for the long haul. Your health is worth fighting for and I’m so happy to be taking this journey with you! This isn’t a month of punishment, but rather, a month to grow.
We all have to start somewhere, so why not start together! You are strong, capable and motivated to make changes needed for a better you!
THE PEACHY LIFE PODCAST: EPIOSODE 06: CLEAN KETO CHALLENGE
Listen to The Peachy Life wherever you get your podcast!
WHAT IS CLEAN KETO?
The Ketogenic diet gets its name from the small fuel molecules called “ketones” produced by your body as an alternative fuel source that is used when blood sugar is in low supply. Once your body starts producing ketones, your body is now in ketosis. Our body’s first choice of fuel for energy is carbohydrates. There are two ways to get your body in ketosis. The first and very unsafe way is starvation. This is absolutely NOT recommended.
The second is eating the keto diet. The main thing to track is your daily consumption of Total Net Carbs. You can find this by looking at the nutrition label and subtracting your dietary fiber from your total carbs. Your goal is to keep you total net carbs under 25 grams of carbs per day. Some people can enter ketosis eating up to 50 grams of net carbs a day. However, this takes testing and time to find out how high your tolerance is.
Since your carb consumption is very low, your diet must be high in fat or else you won’t have enough energy to sustain yourself. You should not feel like you’re starving. You should feel sustained and have plenty of energy. This is a red flag that you’re not eating enough fats. About 70% of diet should be from fats, 20-25% protein, leaving 5-10% coming from Carbs.
WHAT IS THE CLEAN KETO CHALLENGE?
This Clean Keto Challenge consists of eating clean keto with the addition of going dairy free. This challenge is meant to reset and refresh your outlook on overall healthy living. If you want to give your body a jumpstart into everyday healthy living, this challenge is a must.
CLEAN KETO GUIDELINES
- 25g Net Carbs Daily: Sticking to 25 grams of net carbs daily will get your body into ketosis. The whole point of “keto” is to switch your body from burning carbs as fuel to burning fat as fuel. This is the most important part of the program.
- No Dairy, Alcohol, Grains or Legumes:: No dairy, except for ghee or clarified butter. You may include dairy free cheese, sour cream and cream cheese in this challenge. Be sure to read labels to ensure clean ingredients. No legumes, with the exception of green beans. No alcohol or grains for 28 days. Removing these items will help reduce cravings and strengthen gut health.
- No Added Sugar or Artificial Sweeteners: Removing added sugar and artificial sweetener for the duration of 28 days will help with cravings and gut health. Quitting sugar and artificial sweeteners can also aid in more energy, balanced hormones, especially insulin levels and clearer skin!
- Avoid all Dirty Keto Options: The point of this challenge is to eat wholesome foods full of nutrients to get our bodies back to working efficiently as possible. Dirty Keto options can cause bloating, inflammation, sugar cravings and will often lead to weight gain post challenge.
- Drink 64 oz. Water, Daily: One of the most common side effects of the keto diet is dehydration. Carbs are responsible for your body holding water. Your body will excrete and retain less water. The symptoms of dehydration are often referred to and dangerously brushed off as the “keto flu”.
DAILY MUST DOS
- Drink 64 oz. water daily
- Keep a food journal
- Move your body
- Get enough sleep
WHY YOU SHOULD COMPLETE THIS CHALLENGE?
You will benefit from clean keto eating in many ways:
- Improve gut health and reduce inflammation in your body
- Less spikes in insulin. This will aid in helping shed a few pounds of body fat
- Eliminate cravings
- Break through a weight loss plateau
- Improved digestion and flatter tummy without all the grains, legumes, sugar and dairy
- Improvement in skin, nails and hair health
- Sleep cycle will improve and an increase in energy levels
KETO: CLEAN VS. DIRTY
The difference between clean and dirty keto is straight forward. Clean keto consists of a diet of wholesome natural foods that are full of nutrients that your body requires to function correctly.
Dirty keto consists of processed or factory farmed foods and ingredients. The thinking with dirty keto is that you can eat whatever you want as long as you’re keeping your daily net carbs under 20 grams. This includes junk food, fast food, and processed foods that are full of preservatives. You won’t be giving your body all the nutrients that it needs for your overall health if you choose to go this route. It can actually cause issues such as bloating, inflammation, sugar cravings and will often lead to weight gain once you try to incorporate carbs back into your diet. These symptoms are often associated with what is referred to as the Keto Flu.
WHY GO DAIRY-FREE?
There are many reasons why you may want to try going dairy free. Here are a few reasons below!
- It’s estimated that 75% of the world’s population is actually lactose intolerant. Lactose is the sugar found in cow’s milk and breast milk. Infants and children produce enzymes that break down lactose. However, humans lose this ability as we grow up.
- Dairy has also been linked to cancer in numerous studies. These cancer types include prostate, breast and ovarian cancers.
- It also raises your cholesterol levels increasing the risk of heart disease.
- It may cause constipation which is due to a combination of their lactose intolerance and also the fact that there is no fiber in dairy.
- Dairy also can contribute to an increase in acne breakouts.
- In order to increase milk production, cows are given growth hormones and antibiotics.
- PCOS – One of the many possible symptoms of PCOS is insulin resistance. Eating dairy can lead to higher levels of insulin in your body. The excess insulin causes you cells to absorb too much glucose from your blood and causes the liver to release less glucose which creates a dangerous low blood sugar condition called hypoglycemia. Having too much insulin can also cause your ovaries to produce more androgens, such as testosterone. An increase of testosterone in a woman’s body can suppress normal menstruation and ovulation.
CLEAN KETO: WHAT CAN I EAT?
HOW TO TRACK YOUR CARBS?
There are a ton of apps that will track your net carbs. Below are my favorites
WHAT ABOUT INTERMITTENT FASTING?
Intermittent fasting can be paired with this challenge, although it will depend on the person. For me, when I add fasting to my diet and compact my eating window, it becomes way too restrictive. This brings back a lot of issues with my past easting disorders.
Some people swear by fasting and in these cases, it does wonders for their bodies. However, I’m just not one of those people. I love listening to my body and eating when I’m hungry. So if I wake up starving, I don’t want to punish myself and wait 5 hours until I can eat. If I wake up not hungry then I have the option to wait until I am. For me, it’s too much pressure on my already fragile mind. Waking up and listening to what my body wants work way better than setting a time frame around food.
WANT OVER 20 PAGES OF FREE RESOURCES FOR THIS CHALLENGE?
CLICK THE PHOTO BELOW! OR CLICK HERE
Once you subscribe to my email list, you will receive a “confirmation” email. You must confirm the subscription. Once you do this, you will receive a welcome email with a link to download the full guide. If it’s not in your inbox, be sure to always check your spam folder.
If you have already previously subscribed, I sent this eBook to your email on (12/29/2020). It will either be in your inbox or in your spam folder.
SHOP MY MUST HAVES ON AMAZON?
FAVORITE MUST HAVE ITEMS
- Butcher Box: FREE BACON FOR LIFE + $10 OFF Humanely raised, No antibiotics or added hormones, All vegetarian fed, Uncured, No added sugar, No nitrates or nitrites added
- Farmhouse Culture Gut Shots: These have so many amazing benefits and are Whole30 and Keto compliant. These are an amazing probiotic for gut health, immune system and metabolism. USE CODE: “20PEACH” FOR 20% OFF
- Natural Heaven Veggie Pasta: Veggie pasta made from Hearts of Palm. Tastes identical to real pasta and is Whole30 and Keto compliant. CODE: “NATHEAVEN10” for 10% off.
CLEAN KETO: COMMON QUESTIONS, ANSWERED
I have taken all your top questions and built a Q+A blog post that is filled with great tips and tricks. Be sure to click on the photo below to be taken to that post. If you still have questions, be to put them in my comments and I will try my best to add them in for you!
FOLLOW ME ON YOUTUBE
Be sure to click on the photo below to subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I will be posting daily vlogs of the challenge. I will be taking you through all of my meals, tips and tricks, and the ups/downs of the challenge. This is going to be a SUPER helpful resource for you all!
PIN THIS CLEAN KETO CHALLENGE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD
Need more inspo? Be sure to check out my Peachy Fit eBook:
NEED MORE RESOURCES?
If you are needing more resources be sure to head over to Dr. Eric Berg and Natalie at Tastes Lovely. These are 2 of my favorite resources for all things keto. They have so much knowledge and I always leave their sites learning a ton.
Natalie is a dear friend and just the sweetest human in the world. She lost over 70 pounds following Clean Keto and has weeks and weeks of free menus along with great tips and tricks. Dr. Eric Berg is another great one because he goes in-depth regarding the science behind why keto is excellent for our bodies!
Be sure to consult your doctor before beginning any new program. I’m not a licensed physician. This is based on my opinion.