I grew up with a mother that made the most delicious casseroles. They were so darn good because they were usually filled with a ton of butter and sour cream. I wanted to create one of her favorites, but in a healthy way. My new Whole30 Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole is filled with the same delectable flavor, but with healthy ingredients that are Keto, Whole30, Paleo and Dairy Free.
Ingredients needed for this Whole30 Poppy Seed Casserole:
- Dairy Free Forager Sour Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Coconut milk
- Poppy Seeds
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cauliflower rice
- Almond flour
- Egg white
- Xanthan gum
How to make this Whole30 Poppy Seed Casserole :
Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9×13″ pan with non-stick spray.
In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, coconut milk, ghee, onion powder, garlic powder and xanthan gum. Heat over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick. Around 3-4 minutes.
Add the chopped chicken, sour cream and poppy seeds to the pot. Mix together until combined. Transfer this mixture to the prepared dish and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
In a separate bowl combine the almond flour, egg white, melted ghee and salt. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the chicken mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Is the Forager Sour Cream Considered Whole30 Compliant?
“Nut cheeses and dips ARE compliant on the program, with a strong caveat that these should be used with caution, especially if you know you rely on cheese as a comfort or stress-relieving food, OR if cheese is a trigger for other food cravings (like wine or crackers). As with Larabars or almond butter, Whole30 HQ and our Coaches all recommend that program participants use with caution, and think critically about whether including these foods in their Whole30 is a healthy choice, given their contexts and goals.”
All of the ingredients in the Forager Sour Cream is compliant and acceptable, including the pectin and loctus bean gum. Ingredients listed below:
Coconut & Cashewmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream*, Cashews*), Tapioca Starch*, Sea Salt, Pectin, Distilled Vinegar*, Lactic Acid, Locust Bean Gum*, Tricalcium Phosphate, Agar, Live Active Cultures (S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Lactis, L. Plantarum).
Allergens: Coconut, Cashews
Can you make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes, absolutely. I suggest making everything but the topping. So you can do steps 1-4 in the instructions. Wrap the dish with foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Right before heating, make the topping and add to the top. Pop it in the oven and cook. This would be a great dish to make at a family gathering or even Thanksgiving. Simply make the night before to save time on the big day!
Can you freeze this casserole?
Yes, you certainly can. Be sure to freeze the poppy seed chicken casserole before baking. This includes the topping. Cover the pan tightly with foil and write down the directions on top of the container. Remove the casserole from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator during the day before baking.
Shop my post:
This creamy Whole30 Poppy Seed Casserole is the perfect family dinner that tastes almost identical to the the full fat version. Serve with a side salad or green beans and you have the perfect healthy comfort meal.
Poppy Seed Casserole
- 5– 6 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup Forager Dairy Free Sour Cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 (12 ounce) bag of cauliflower rice
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9×13″ pan with non-stick spray.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and combine the chicken broth, coconut milk, ghee, onion powder, garlic powder and xanthan gum. Heat until the mixture becomes thick. Around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken, sour cream, cauliflower rice and poppy seeds to the pot. Mix together with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to the prepared dish and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the almond flour, egg white, ghee and salt. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the chicken mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 429
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 765
- Fat: 27
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 21
- Cholesterol: 95
Keywords: Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole, Poppy Seed Chicken, Whole30, Keto, Paleo, Dairy Free