Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Casseroles literally make everything better…especially when they’re healthy. My Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is comfort food at its best, but won’t ruin your diet. It has the same homey and yummy taste as the traditional version but without all the calories and carbs.
Prepping Ahead Of Time
Yes, absolutely. I suggest making everything but the topping.Complete steps 1-4 in the instructions. Wrap the dish with foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Right before heating, make the topping and add to the top. Pop it in the oven and cook. This would be a great dish to make at a family gathering or even Thanksgiving. Simply make the night before to save time on the big day!
Can You Freeze This Casserole?
Yes, you certainly can. Be sure to freeze this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole before baking. This includes the topping. Cover the pan tightly with foil and write down the directions on top of the container. Remove the casserole from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator during the day before baking.
Crumble Crust Topping
I’m obsessed with this low carb buttery crust topping. It’s made with almond flour, melted ghee, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt/pepper. It’s not only super simple to make, but it packs a punch of flavor. It is the perfect sub for carb filled biscuits.
Shop My Post
Want More Healthy Casserole Recipes?
- Creamy Poppyseed Casserole
- Rotel Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken Sheet Pan
This creamy and delectable Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is the perfect family dinner that will warm your soul. This is southern healthy comfort food at its best! Whole30, Keto, Paleo, Dairy-Free and Gluten Free.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 lbs. chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 15 oz. can green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (yellow or white)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black cracked pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
Crust Crumble Topping
- Cook the chicken as desired and dice in cubes. Boil, bake or grill. Rotisserie chicken is even a great choice.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Heat a large cast iron or skillet over medium/high heat. Add in the ghee along with the minced garlic and onions. Cook until fragrant for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped carrots and green beans and mix together. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer the cooked chopped chicken, salt/pepper, chicken broth and coconut milk to the skillet. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle in the xanthan gum and stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes. As it heats, it will become a thicker consistency.
- In a separate bowl combine the almond flour, melted ghee, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the chicken mixture in the cast iron skillet.
- Transfer the cast iron skillet to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- If you do not have a cast iron skillet, you can transfer the mixture to a 9×13 baking dish.
- To get the crust a little more browned, simply turn on the broil to low for a minute or two. Be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour will work as subs for xanthan gum. 1 tablespoon dissolved in 1.5 tbsp. water.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Keto Casserole, Paleo, Whole30, Casserole