My new Whole30 Rotel Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole will easily become a staple on you weekly menu. It is filled with dairy free cream cheese, chicken, spaghetti squash, rotel, coconut milk, and nutritional yeast. It is creamy, filling and out of this world delicious. But wait, there is more good news! It’s Keto, Paleo and Whole30 complaint.
Growing up, my momma would always make Rotel Chicken Spaghetti Casserole with crushed Doritos on the top. It was honestly one of my favorite recipes from my childhood and I crave it on occasion. Although the original recipe will always hold a special place in my heart, I wanted to create a healthier version for my family. This one come pretty darn close to tasting the same as my mother’s recipe. I did have to omit the Doritos from my new recipe, but it really didn’t really make a big impact to the taste.
Are Nut Cheeses Whole30 Compliant?
“Nut cheeses and dips ARE compliant on the program, with a strong caveat that these should be used with caution, especially if you know you rely on cheese as a comfort or stress-relieving food, OR if cheese is a trigger for other food cravings (like wine or crackers). As with Larabars or almond butter, Whole30 HQ and our Coaches all recommend that program participants use with caution, and think critically about whether including these foods in their Whole30 is a healthy choice, given their contexts and goals.”
Whole30 Compliant Brands of Dairy Free Cream Cheese:
- Nush Cheese Natural
- Pamela Creamery Creamy Nutcheese Original
Ingredients for this Whole30 Rotel Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Diced chicken
- Spaghetti squash
- Nutritional yeast
- Kite Hill cream cheese (dairy free)
- Garlic and onion powder
- Coconut milk
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1 1/2 cans rotel, drained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 container of Kite Hill cream cheese
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, canned unsweetened
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 400F and coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and ribbing.
- Drizzle the inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the spaghetti squash cut side down on the baking sheet and use a fork to poke holes.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on the outside, and fork tender (Time will vary based on the size of the squash).
- Remove from the oven and flip the squash so that it’s cut side up. When cool to the touch, use a fork to scrape and fluff the strands from the sides of the squash.
- Place these spaghetti squash strands into a large mixing bowl.
- Reduce oven heat to 350F.
- Cut the cooked chicken breast into bite size pieces. Add to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drain the cans of rotel and transfer to the chicken in the skillet along with the dairy free cream cheese, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, salt, pepper, ghee and garlic/onion powder. Heat for 5 minutes or until everything is combined.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to the spaghetti squash and mix together.
- Pour into a lightly greased 8×11 casserole dish.
- Bake on 350F for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and heated through.
- This will last in the fridge for up to 5 days in an air tight container.
- Freeze up to 2 months.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Whole30, Keto, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 439
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 9.5
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 15
Keywords: Rotel Chicken Spaghetti, Whole30 Recipes, Keto Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Rotel Spaghetti, Spaghetti