Shaken Whiskey Sour Cocktail
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I can remember ordering a whiskey sour for the very first time when I turned 21. I felt oh so fancy and after one sip, I was hooked. Smooth bourbon mixed with lime juice and orange bitters punch. What more could you want in a whiskey cocktail? Whiskey sours became my go-to order and favorite.
There is something magical about ordering a cocktail and watching the bartender make it in front of you like a magic trick. However, the price tag for these little cocktails was not magical.
I decided to try to become my own bartender and recreate my favorite at home. It took me purchasing the best cocktail-making set and a couple of attempts, but here it is. The easiest, yummiest homemade whiskey sour you could ever dream of!
What Makes This The Best Whiskey Cocktail
This ultimate Whiskey Sour Recipe features smooth bourbon shaken with citrus juices, orange bitters, simple syrup, grenadine, & topped with a perfect egg white foam! The easiest, tastiest Whiskey cocktail!
The best part is, while it may look like a fancy cocktail, it takes under 3 minutes to make! Throw all the ingredients in your favorite cocktail shaker, shake, pour over ice, and top with a cherry & orange rind. Your friends will literally think you hired a mixologist!
Raw Egg White
To get the foam top, the egg white in your whiskey sour is key. However, you can omit the egg white and still make a perfect delicious whiskey sour without the foam top. I find that the egg white adds a ton of nice texture without adding any additional flavor. It’s a great addition to a beautiful cocktail.
Best Whiskey for a Whisky Sour
There really isn’t a “wrong” whiskey to use to make this whiskey sour recipe. It really is all based on your preference. Below are my favorites to use in this classic cocktail.
- Markers Mark 46
- Woodford Reserve
- Buffalo Trace
Peachy Tips & Tricks
Shaking your Whiskey Sour
- I use a method call “Dry Shaken“. This is my favorite way to shake my cocktails. For this method, shake the cocktail shaker for 10 seconds without ice then add a couple of ice cubes and shake another 20 seconds.
Best Cocktail Mixing Set
- Becoming your own Bartender requires a few tools that are key to have on hand when making any cocktail. But, they really are the gift that keeps on giving. My favorite cocktail mixing set includes: Cocktail Shaker, Jigger, Cocktail Mixing Spoon, Strainer, Ice Thong, Bottle Opener, & a Stylish Wooden Stand to hold all the tools!
If you are worried about salmonella, the chances of getting it from a raw egg is pretty low. However, it still bothers you, purchase pasteurized eggs. This process heats the eggs for a period of time killing any bacteria in the egg. You can find pasteurized eggs at your local grocery store!
I think the raw egg white foam on the top adds such a lovely garnish to this whiskey sour. It doesn’t need much else. I top with a stemmed cherry and an orange rind, but feel free to serve this cocktail the way you like it!raw
Yes! As a matter of fact, I have this delicious Spicy Jalapeño Margarita that also features the beautiful egg white foam!
Pair Your Favorite Whiskey Cocktail with These Recipes!
Pin This Recipe!
SHOP MY POST:
Shaken Whiskey Sour Cocktail
- 2 ounces bourbon
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- 1/2 tsp grenadine syrup
- 1 egg white
- Orange slices for garnish
- Combine liquid ingredients along with the egg white into shaker with a tight seal.
- Dry shake without ice for 10 seconds, then add a few ice cubes to the shaker and shake again for 20 seconds.
- Strain into a glass and garnish with an orange slice.
- The egg white is key to getting the delicious foam top.
- I prefer orange bitters in my whisky sour, but if you are not a fan you can substitute Angostura Bitters.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.