- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 1/2–5 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 2–3 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk*
- In a stand mixer, add the butter and the vegetable shortening. Beat together on medium speed until combined and fluffy. Around 5 minutes
- Slowly add the vanilla extract along with the powdered sugar on low speed. Beat together until fully combined.
- Beat together for 4-5 minutes or until fluffy and creamy. If the buttercream is too thick add a teaspoon or 2 of milk. Add until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Make sure the cream or milk being used is at room temperature. If added super cold it could separate the icing and make it grainy.
- The key to getting a creamy buttercream frosting is whipping it long enough. If you don’t whip it correctly it will turn out lumpy and thick.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes