Smothered Pork Chops & Gravy (Keto + Whole30)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Growing up, my mom would make her famous smothered pork chops, creamy mashed potatoes and green beans on a weekly basis. Pork Chop night was for sure a hit at my childhood kitchen table. My goal was to recreate her full fat recipe into a healthier version that would too, make my family jump for joy! Good news….I succeeded!
Ingredients you will need for these Smothered Pork Chops:
- Boneless pork chops, 1.5-2 inches thick
- Chicken broth
- Coconut Milk
- Xanthan Gum
- Fresh garlic
Pro Tips For Cooking Juicy Pork Chops
- Tenderize: Pierce each side of the pork chops multiple times with a fork. Make sure the pierce marks are distributed evenly among each side.
- Season: Always season the meat with salt and pepper before cooking
- Room Temp: Allow the pork chop to come to room temperature before cooking. Never cook straight from the refrigerator. Leave out around 15 minutes before cooking.
- Cooking Method: First, sear each pork chops in a skillet with olive oil and finish cooking in a 350F oven. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to check your temp so you don’t over cook. If you do end up overcooking your pork chop will be extremely tough. The internal temp should 145F
I will serve my pork chops with green beans along with my homemade Creamy Cauliflower Mash that tastes identical to real mashed potatoes. You can also serve with your favorite steamed veggies or even a sweet potato if you are not watching your carbs. Additionally, I love making a double batch of these and eating throughout the week for lunch. Leftover pork chops are always great to have because they heat up well in the microwave.
In conclusion, if you are bored in the kitchen and need a new healthy recipe, be sure to give this one a try. To really put the icing on the cake, this recipe is Whole30, Keto, Paleo and Gluten Free! This recipe is healthy comfort food at it’s best!Print
Smothered Pork Chops
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- 5 boneless loin chops, 1 1/2- 2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum*
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp canned coconut milk, unsweetened
- Additional salt and pepper as needed
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Bring pork chops to room temp by allowing them to sit out for 15 minutes.
- Tenderize each pork chop by piercing each side of the pork chops multiple times with a fork. Make sure the pierce marks are distributed evenly among each side.
- Season the pork chops on both side generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the cast iron and sear the chops for 3 to 4 minutes per side over high heat.
- Transfer the cast iron skillet to the preheated 350F oven. Cook until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cast iron from the oven and place on the stove. Carefully remove the pork chops to a large plate and set to the side.
- Add in 1 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, onion, and mushrooms and saute for 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms and onions are soft.
- Add in the ghee and any additional salt/pepper if desired.
- Pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the xanthan gum and whisk until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Return the cooked pork chops to the gravy and allow to cook together another 2 minutes or so on low heat.
- Sub 1 1/2 tsp of tapioca flour dissolved in 1 tbsp water for the xantham gum.
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, feel free to sear the pork chops in a pan of choice then transfer to a 9×13 pan to cook in the oven.
- Cover and store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Keto, Whole30, American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 446
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 25
- Cholesterol: 78.5
Keywords: Pork Chop Recipes, Smothered Pork Chops, Whole30 Recipes, Keto Recipes, Pork Chops with Gravy
Is oven temp 350 or 400? Cooking instructions say 400 and recipe says 350. Recipe looks great.
It is 350F
This looks incredible!! Could I use chicken breast or thighs for this instead of pork? I love pork chops but recently found out I have a sensitivity to them.
You sure could. Just adapt the cooking time accordingly.
These are the best pork chops I have ever made not to mention they are Whole 30 compliant. I felt like I was cheating when I was eating them. I cannot wait to make these again. They will be in my recipe rotation all the time now!!! Thanks Mac!!!
So delicious!!! We even got my hubby who hates anything smothered to love it!!!
Fabulous! This recipe has been on my weekly menu rotation a few times now, and it never disappoints. I get my pork chops from Butcher Box, and this is a perfect use for those. It’s hearty, and a total comfort food, reheats well, and simple ingredients. I can’t quite express to y’all how GOOD THESE ARE! Make them ASAP!
This is so nice Megan! Thank you
Looking forward to making! I have had to be that person… but I have arrowroot instead of tapioca/ XG. Is it the same measurement?
Thank you and looking forward to making this!
You would need to add about a tablepsoon disolved in a 2 tbsp water.
I loved this recipe, we made it tonight! I was worried my husband wouldn’t like it because of the coconut milk but he said it was a 10! Thank you for the great recipe