Hands down, this Beef Tips & Gravy over Cauliflower Mash recipe is by far my new favorite recipe of ALL TIME. I live for comfort food and this meal makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. With this meal, I have to control myself because you will find me creeping in the kitchen for seconds and thirds.
Creating delicious meals that serve my family in a healthy way is what I live for! When my husband looks at me and says, “Babe this is a flipping WINNER DINNER!” I feel so so good inside, almost like I am nailing this whole wife and mom thing, haha. The best part about this recipe is I have developed it for the stove and instant pot!
Cauliflower mash is my current obsession because let’s face it, it almost tastes like real taters without all the guilt. If you are living Keto, Whole30 or Paleo, try utilizing cauliflower more to serve as a yummy substitute for starchier foods. To get the texture of mashed potatoes I simply boil a couple of bags of cauliflower rice, drain and add to my Vitamix. Next, I will add in a little coconut milk along with Fourth and Heart Ghee, fresh chives, salt and pepper, and some garlic. Talk about mouth watering! You honestly can’t even tell the difference between these and real mashed potatoes.
Gravy is something that will bring any dish to life and it took me a long time to figure out the perfect recipe that aligns with the Paleo guidelines. Tapioca and Arrowroot flour are game changers for Paleo cooking and serves as a great thickening agents that are the perfect substitute for real flour. I also love brightening up my roast along with just plain ham steaks with this gravy. It will turn a boring meal into something really special
In conclusion, if you are needing a simple meal that will impress the entire family, then give this recipe a try. It is perfect for a Sunday lunch dinner and even a quick meal throughout a busy week.
What if my gravy that goes over the beef tips does not get thick?
This is a very common question. Because arrowroot and tapioca are a Paleo substitute for real four/thickening agent, don’t expect the gravy to be as thick as the traditional gravy. My gravy is the consistency of a thicker soup. Feel free to add less broth to make it thicker or experiment with adding a little more tapioca flour.
Remember, it will have to simmer and as it heats it will begin to thicken. If you are living strict Keto, feel free to sub xantham gum. Whisk 1/4 tsp xanthan gum with 1 part cold water to create a slurry.
UPDATE: I have also developed an Instant Pot & Crockpot version of this recipe and I couldn’t be more excited about it. The steak is so tender and it takes no time at all!Print
Savory tender beef sirloin tips drenched with brown gravy and served over cauliflower mash. This meal is not only delicious, but it is also Keto, Whole30 and Paleo compliant.
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat or sirloin tips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt (add more to taste if needed)
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour ( dissolved in 2 tbsp water (for Keto, sub 1/4 tsp xanthan gum)
Sirloin Tips & Gravy
- In a large skillet heat oil over high heat. Add the meat, minced garlic and a little salt and pepper. Cook on medium/high heat until meat is browned on all sides; about 5 minutes.
- Pour 2 cups beef broth over the meat and drippings and bring to a boil then reduce heat. Add dissolved tapioca flour, ghee, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the beef broth. (The broth will not thicken automatically, it will thicken as it heats up and simmers.
- Mix thoroughly and stir into the meat. Simmer until the meat is tender and the gravy is thick. (The longer it simmers, the more tender the meat. I recommend simmering on low with lid for an additional 30 minutes or longer).
- Bring 1 head of cauliflower chopped or 2 bags of cauliflower rice to a boil, about 10 minutes.
- Drain liquid from the cauliflower and add to the food processor with garlic powder, chives, ghee, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Blend together until smooth and top with fresh chives. Make sure NOT over blend or it will turn into a soupy puree.
- Add Cauliflower mash to a plate and top with beef tips along with creamy gravy. Garnsih with fresh or dried parsley
Instant Pot Version
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set to sauté and allow time to heat up
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and place the steak pieces in. Cook until the outside of the steak is browned.
- Before adding in the gravy ingredients, turn the settings on the instant pot to high pressure. Once this setting is on, add all ingredients for the gravy. Make sure to add the tapioca flour last, dissolved in water first. It will mix evenly this way. Once it heats up, the gravy should thicken.
- Lock the lid making sure the top vent is sealed. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. If the broth is not thick enough after pressure cooking, add a 1/2 tbsp MORE tapioca flour and turn onto “Sauté” mode and bring to a boil.
- I usually use natural release, but it’s fine if you do quick release if you are in a hurry. I find that the steak is a little more tender with the natural release.
- Brown the beef tips over medium/high heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Remove and add meat to crockpot.
- Throw all the ingredients EXCEPT the tapioca flour in the crockpot (Using an additional 1 cup of broth for this version)
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-7 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, dissolve the 2 tbsp of tapioca flour in 2 tbsp of water and add to the crockpot. Mix in completely and stir until it begins to thicken. Cook on low 15 additional minutes. (If you want it a little thicker, you may need to add 1/2 tbsp MORE tapioca flour)
- My gravy won’t be as thick as using regular flour. It is the consistency of a thicker soup. Feel free to add less broth to make it thicker or experiment with adding a little more tapioca flour. Remember, it will have to simmer and as it heats it will begin to thicken.
- For Keto, whisk 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum to thicken the gravy without added carbs. Tapioca flour does contain some carbs so this is a great sub.
- The nutrition facts below are calculated for 1/4 of the beef tip recipe and 1/4 of the cauliflower recipe. 1 scoop each of beef tips and the cauli mash.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 800
- Fat: 12.5
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 50
Keywords: Beef Tips and Gravy, Whole30, Keto, Paleo, Cauliflower Mash
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)