The Best Creamy Mashed Potatoes & Cauliflower Mash
Published Nov 13, 2019 Updated Nov 10, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I have been eating these mashed potatoes since I was a small child. My mom was always such a great cook and this was one of her go to recipes. There was just something about these fluffy mashed potatoes. As a result, I would always lick my plate and ask for seconds. Not only were they creamy, but the buttery top was like velvet going down my throat. Simply so darn good!
In all seriousness, I actually preferred when she would use the boxed Instant Mashed Potatoes. Mom would use the Idahoan Real Premium Instant Mashed Potatoes when she was in a hurry, and they tasted like the real thing. Even from my experience using them, they save so much time and really don’t skimp on flavor and texture. So if you are crunched on time, give these instant potatoes a try.
Tips for the Best Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Yukon Gold Potatoes are going to be the best option to use to get super creamy potatoes. After boiling, these potatoes will mash amazing.
- Instead of boiling potatoes in small pieces, boil in larger chunks.
- Add the butter before adding anything else.
- Always use both sour cream AND cream cheese.
- Make sure to season. Salt and pepper are key!
What’s a great alternative if you can’t have potatoes?
No worries at all if you can’t have potatoes, I have you covered. In addition to my creamy mashed potato recipe, I have also included my Creamy Mashed Cauliflower. This recipe is not only tasty but tastes like the real deal. It is Keto, Whole30 and Paleo-compliant.
Creamy Cauliflower Mash
This is probably one of my favorite recipes I have created. The main reason is that it truly tastes identical to mashed potatoes. Now, I still say my mom’s recipe is better because of the cream cheese, but these are still fantastic. I have included this recipe below the real mashed potato recipe below.Print
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Total Time: 35 minute
- Yield: 8–10 servings 1x
- 3 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes peeled (OR Idahoan Real Premium Mashed Potatoes)
- 3/4 package cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/2 stick butter (softened and cut into chunks)
- 1/2 16 oz container sour cream/
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (warm)
- salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL, add 2 teaspoons of Horseradish sauce for a little zing ( add more to taste)
- 2–12 oz bags cauliflower rice (or 1 head of cauliflower)
- 2 tsp ghee
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp chives (fresh or dried)
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover potatoes with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook partially covered until easily pierced with a knife (boil 20-25 min depending on the size of your potatoes) Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Use a hand held mixer or a potato masher and mash the boiled potatoes until smooth. I personally like using the hand held mixer for this step because it really whips the potatoes and makes them smooth.
- Add the butter and mix until completely until melted. Next add in the sour cream, cream cheese, and milk to the hot potatoes. Mix together using a big wooden spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut a small piece of butter and place on top along with a few sprinkles of pepper.
- Bring 1 head of cauliflower to a boil and cook for 10 mins or steam 2 bags of cauliflower rice in the microwave per instructions on the package.
- Drain liquid from the cauliflower and add to the food processor with garlic powder, chives, ghee, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Blend together until smooth and top with fresh chives. Make sure NOT over blend or it will turn into a soupy puree.
- Transfer the cauliflower mash to a bowl and top with ghee, salt, pepper and chives.
Note: For the instant mashed potatoes, follow the directions on the pkg per needed serving size.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Best Cauli Mashed around!
Love love love so creamy!
Thank you so much!
Ok you weren’t kidding when you said this would be creamy!! It was sooo good!! Definitely a recipe I’ll be using often. Next time I plan on trying the cauli mash!
YAY! I’m so glad to hear this. The cauliflower mash will blow your mind. It’s so good
This is the third year I’ve made your mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving! They are a hit every year. Also trying the cauliflower mash for the first time this year too and I’m so excited to try it!
YAY Morganne!!!!! Thrilled to hear the recipe has become a favorite. Thanks so much for the kind words of support.