- 1 1/2 cups 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend*
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or regular sugar*
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 2–3 teaspoons red gel coloring
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup all-vegetable shortening (I use Spectrum)
- 5 1/2–6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3–4 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12 muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the dry mix together in a bowl and mix together. In a large mixing bowl add the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Using an electric mixer, or stand mixer with paddle attachment beat until combined and smooth. Add the red food coloring.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and mix until evenly combined. Fill each liner 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow cupcakes to cool inside muffin tins for about 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin tins and allow them to fully cool on a wire rack, for around 30 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, add the butter and the vegetable shortening. Beat together on medium speed until combined and fluffy.
- Slowly add the vanilla extract along with the powdered sugar. Beat together for 40 seconds or until fluffy and stiff.
If you use a blend that does not contain xanthan gum, add 1/4 teaspoon. I used Bob’s Red Mill brand
You can also sub granulated monk fruit or granulated Swerve for the coconut or regular sugar
You can also use 1/2 cup dairy free milk if needed with 1 teaspoon vinegar
My buttercream comes out pretty white. If you are needing a bright white use clear vanilla extract and a couple drops of white food coloring.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: red velvet, gluten-free cupcakes, white buttercream icing