Vegan and Dairy-Free Pesto
I’ve always been such a big fan of pesto. Since switching to a dairy-free lifestyle, I wanted to come up with a vegan recipe that tastes just as good as the traditional version. I think I nailed it with my new Vegan and Dairy Free Pesto. It is filled with so much flavor and doesn’t involve any cheese at all. It can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes and goes great on everything. If you are looking to spice up chicken, pork or veggies…slap some of this pesto on top and you are all set.
What Is Pesto?
According to Delish.com “It’s a typically bright green sauce that originated in Genoa, Italy. The word “pesto” is the past tense of the Genoese verb “pestare,” which means “to crush.” The fact that pesto is typically made by crushing the ingredients with a mortar and pestle probably has something to do with that too.”
How To Use Vegan and Dairy-Free Pesto?
There are so many different ways to use pesto. Below are a few of my favorite ways to incorporate in everyday meals.
- Add it on top of fried or scrambled eggs
- Use it as a pizza sauce instead of marinara sauce
- Mix it in a salad dressing
- Add it on top of chicken, pork, or beef
- On top of a thick-sliced tomato
- Veggie zoodles or hearts of palm noodles. These taste and feel like real noodles.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #healthylittlepeach on Instagram. Seeing you cook my recipes gives me such joy……Happy cooking, friends!
Shop My Vegan and Dairy-Free Pesto Post
Want More Healthy Sauces?Print
This easy Vegan and Dairy-Free Pesto can be whipped up in a jiff and tastes just as good as the traditional version. It is nutty, bold, and exploding with flavor.
- To a food processor, add the basil, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, water, nutritional yeast, and salt/pepper. Process together and add olive oil a little at a time. Scrape down sides as needed. Check the consistency and add any additional water as needed.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer for 2 months.
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pesto, Vegan, Dairy free, vegan pesto