Crockpot Ranch Chicken
This Crockpot Ranch Chicken (Crack Chicken) is creamy and seasoned to perfection with ranch mix and topped with chopped bacon and green onions. Throw it in the slow cooker in the morning and have a 5-star dinner ready for the family when you get home. Keto, Gluten-Free and can be tailored to dairy-free.
Crockpot meals really do save lives, especially during those busy weeknights. This Crockpot Ranch Chicken aka “Crack Chicken” is pure magic and will have your family running back for more. Although it’s pure comfort food, this recipe can be tailored to be dairy-free. This recipe uses ranch seasoning and I have a Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix recipe that tastes identical to the Hidden Valley packets. Click here to grab this goodness.
Crockpot Ranch Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheese
- Green Onions
- White Onion
- Ranch Seasoning
- Chicken Broth
How to Serve
There are so many different ways you can use this Crockpot Ranch Chicken. I love making a big batch on Sunday and using it throughout the week for different meals. Below are my favorite ways to use this recipe.
- On a Bun: as a sandwich
- Sweet Potato or Baked Potato: Stuff this Crack Chicken inside a sweet potato or regular potato
- Over Rice: Mixed with brown rice
- By Itself: with a side salad or veggies
- On top of noodles: Gluten-free, wheat or regular noodles
- Dip: Serve with chips, crackers, or veggies
- Wrapped in a tortilla: For a quesadilla or burrito
- Pita: Stuff it inside a pita pocket and heat up
Make It Dairy-Free
This recipe can be tailored to dairy-free with just a few swaps. I have listed my favorite swaps below.
- Regular Cream Cheese: Sub Kite Hill Cream Cheese or any other dairy-free cream cheese of choice. In my opinion, Kite Hill is the best tasting and gives that same creamy texture. This brand is sold at most health food stores.
- Shredded Cheese: Sub dairy-free shredded cheese of choice. I love to Follow Your Heart, Miyokos, Earth Grown (Aldi), and Trader Joe’s Vegan Mozzarella.
Crockpot Ranch Chicken Instant Pot Method
This recipe can also be made in the Instant Pot. Below is a step-by-step if you would rather use a pressure cooker instead.
Instant Pot Method
- Pressure Cook
Press cancel to turn off the saute feature. Add the chicken breast, chicken broth, and salt/pepper to the pot. Secure the lid, turn to seal, and set the pot to pressure cook for 5 minutes. Carefully quick release the pressure. Shred the chicken.
- Melt The Cheese
Add in the cream cheese and shredded cheese and stir until melted and incorporated into the soup. Turn the saute function back on if the cream cheese is not melting well. Serve with chopped bacon and green onions
Crockpot Ranch Chicken: FAQs
This recipe is usually called crack chicken because of the classic combination of chicken, cream cheese, cheddar and ranch seasoning.
I have cooked frozen chicken in the crockpot before and have had great results. The main thing to make sure of before serving is that the chicken registers at 165F before serving. If the chicken is frozen, it may also need extra time to cook.
You can. However, just make sure you take proper precautions as stated in the user’s manual. Make sure the crockpot is on a flat surface and covered.
I always recommend cooking chicken on low in the crockpot. This will result in tender and juicy chicken. I have found that if I cook chicken on high it becomes rubbery and dried out. If you have to cook it on high, just add a little extra chicken broth during the cooking process to help keep it juicy.
Yes, you sure can. Add the chicken to a baking dish and add the rest of the ingredients on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165F. Remove from the oven and shred the chicken. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Make a Double Batch: Always make a double batch and use it in different ways throughout the week or for lunch and dinner.
- Don’t Dry Out The Chicken: Cook it on low and make sure to add the chicken broth. Cooking on high will dry out the chicken.
- Make Your Own Ranch Seasoning: I love making my own ranch seasoning because it doesn’t have MSG or other hidden ingredients. My recipe tastes identical to the Hidden Ranch packets. Click here for the recipe.
- Storing: Store in an air-tight container for up to 3-4 days or freeze in and freezer-safe container for up to 3 months
More Crockpot Recipes
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning (Tastes Like Hidden Valley)
- Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
- Keto Shredded Teriyaki Chicken
- Ranch Roast
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This Crockpot Ranch Chicken (Crack Chicken) is here to make dinnertime magic. Throw it in the slow cooker in the morning and have a 5-star dinner ready for the family when you get home. Keto, Gluten-Free and can be tailored to dairy-free.
- 2.5 pounds chicken breast (trim excess fat)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons of my Homemade Ranch Seasoning*
- 16 oz. cream cheese*
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 sliced cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- Add the chicken breasts, minced garlic, diced onions, chicken broth, and ranch seasoning to the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours without opening the lid. (This is optional, but I like to saute the garlic and diced onions with a tablespoon of ghee before adding to the crockpot).
- Shred the chicken with two forks and add in the cream cheese and shredded cheese. Mix together with a spoon and add the lid back on for another 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chopped bacon and green onions. Enjoy!
- Ranch Seasoning: If you don’t want to make homemade ranch seasoning, use 1 1/2 packet of ranch mix.
- Dairy-Free: If you are dairy-free feel free to sub your favorite dairy-free cream cheese and shredded cheese.
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container for up to 3-4 days or freeze in and freezer-safe container for up to 3 months
- Category: Main Dish/Dip
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Crockpot Ranch Chicken, Crack Chicken, Creamy Crockpot Ranch Chicken, Ranch Chicken
Welcome to Healthy Little Peach. I’m Mac, the lady behind the recipes. I believe in living a healthy lifestyle that consists of a mix of healthy whole foods, and full-fat comfort meals. Life is too short not to enjoy good food while maintaining a healthy body and mind. Here you will find gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, keto, and even full-fat comfort recipes. Let’s have fun in the kitchen together!