Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
Published Mar 08, 2022 Updated Dec 05, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ranch seasoning has always been a staple in my kitchen and pantry. I love using it for dips, dressing, and even to season bland food. My favorite way to use dried ranch mix is on top of my roasted veggies. It takes them to a whole new level. This recipe is super simple to make and requires minimal ingredients. The one ingredient you may have to buy is buttermilk powder. This is the key ingredient to give it the same creamy taste like the store-bought version. You can find buttermilk powder at most grocery stores in the baking aisle or purchase it on Amazon.
Why Homemade Ranch Seasoning
I will admit, I have always loved Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning. I mean it tastes magical and adds so much flavor to bland foods. Although I love the taste of the seasoning, I don’t dig their ingredients. To remedy this, I created a healthier homemade ranch seasoning that tastes pretty close to the store-bought version. This homemade recipe does not contain any MSG or other hidden ingredients you can’t pronounce.
Ranch Seasoning Ingredients
Ways To Use Ranch Seasoning Mix
There are many different ways to use ranch seasoning mix. This seasoning can add so much flavor to bland food. Below are my favorite ways to incorporate this dry ranch seasoning into my cooking.
- Chicken and Pork
- Add into breading for chicken strips
- Roasted Veggies
Dried buttermilk can be found in most grocery stores in the baking aisle. I found mine at my local Walmart. If you can’t find it in your grocery store, you can always purchase it on Amazon. See the recipe card for a link to buy.
You can certainly switch out the buttermilk powder for soy milk powder to make it vegan and dairy-free. There is also coconut milk powder you can purchase, but it will have a strong coconut flavor.
This homemade dry ranch mix will need to be stored in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for 2 months. Although it is a seasoning it will need to be stored in the fridge because of the buttermilk powder.
To make Homemade Ranch Dip: Mix together ¼ cup of the ranch seasoning mix recipe along with 1 cup of regular sour cream or dairy-free sour cream and 2 tablespoons of milk of choice or buttermilk for an even richer taste. Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix 1 cup of mayo with ¼ cup ranch seasoning 1/4 cup sour cream, and ½ cup milk of choice or buttermilk and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar.
Not if you are using it to store. I would only use fresh herbs if you are going to immediately make a dip or dressing with the seasoning. If you try to store it the herbs will wilt and get mushy.
For sure. I have a recipe below that makes 3 1/2 cups. This also makes a great DIY gift. Put the seasoning in a mason jar with a pretty ribbon and you have a great gift with purpose.
Ranch-Inspired Recipes You’ll LovePrint
Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
Say “No” to the store-bought ranch seasoning and make this Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix instead. It’s clean and contains no MSG or other hidden ingredients. Make a big batch and keep on hand for easy dips, dressing, and even seasoning veggies, casseroles, and soups.
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 tablespoons (3/4 cup) or bulk 3 1/2 cups 1x
- 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk or powdered soy milk for dairy-free or omit
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- 2 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black cracked pepper
BULK RANCH SEASONING:
Makes 3 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk powder*
- 1/2 cup dried dill
- 1/2 cup dried parsley
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/3 cup garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- Add everything to a medium bowl and whisk together. Store the mix in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 months.
- 2 tablespoons of this dry mix equals 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Dip: Mix together ¼ cup of the ranch seasoning mix recipe along with 1 cup of regular sour cream or DF sour cream and 2 tablespoons of milk of choice or buttermilk for an even richer taste.
- Homemade Ranch Dressing: Mix 1 cup of mayo with ¼ cup ranch seasoning 1/4 cup sour cream, ½ cup milk of choice or buttermilk, and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar.
- You can omit the buttermilk powder or sub-soy milk powder if dairy free. If you omit the powder, you do not have to refrigerate it. It will last the shelf life date of the dry seasoning you add.
- You can also use coconut milk powder but be warned, it will have a strong coconut flavor.
- You can also use dairy-free coconut milk and dairy-free sour cream to make the dip and dressings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Seasoning
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 37
- Sugar: 4.3
- Sodium: 471
- Fat: 0.4
- Carbohydrates: 2.3
- Protein: 2.1
Keywords: homemade ranch seasoning, ranch dressing, ranch seasoning dry mix, healthy ranch
Tastes identical to Hidden Valley Ranch!
So good and easy! I make a big batch and leave it in my fridge so it’s ready when I need it. It’s a great pop corn seasoning!
Thank you so much. Happy to hear and love the idea of adding it to popcorn
This is delicious! So much fresher tasting than bottled Ranch dressing. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!
You’re so welcome Carol. Thrilled you have a delicious go to!! Happy eating friend!