Air Fryer Buffalo Wings (Keto + Whole30)
Published Aug 21, 2020 Updated May 18, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crispy chicken wings is one of my all time favorite comfort meals. I wanted to create a healthy version that had both crunch and amazing flavor. This new recipe did not disappoint. My Air Fryer Buffalo Wings are beyond crispy and drenched in homemade buffalo sauce. They really are exploding with flavor. Additionally, they are Whole30, Keto and Paleo. Healthy never looked so good!
Ingredients Needed For These Wings:
- Chicken wings
- Olive oil
- Franks Hot Sauce
- Coconut aminos
- Garlic powder
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cayenne pepper
Tips for making these crispy Buffalo Wings
- Make sure to pat the chicken wings down with a paper towel to remove any moisture before tossing in the olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. This will aid in the chicken getting crispy during the cooking process.
- Using an air fryer is highly recommended to get that crunchy texture
- Shaking the basket during the cooking process is super important. This will ensure that this cooks the chicken wings cook evenly and gets crispy on each side.
- Spray the wings with cooking spray before cooking and again when you shake the basket at the halfway mark. This will give the wings a nice crispy finish.
- Use my homemade Whole30 Ranch for dipping
- These are great for meal prep also. They heat up very well.
Can I make these Buffalo Wings in the oven if I don’t have an air fryer?
Absolutely! You can cook them in the oven and still get a really nice crisp. I prefer using the air fryer, but I still use the oven method a lot and it doesn’t disappoint. Oven instructions below:
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Add a rack to a baking sheet and place all of the wings on top of the rack. (The wire rack allows the wings to get crispy all the way around). If you don’t have a wire rack, just line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place wings on top.
- Prepare the wings by placing them on a paper towel and pat dry. Place the wings in a bowl and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper on each side.
- Place the wings on the baking sheet/wired rack and transfer to the oven and bake for for 15 minutes then remove the wings from the oven and turn them. Add back to the oven to cook for 20 more minutes or until crispy.
In conclusion, if you are craving comfort food but want to keep it healthy, be sure to give my Air Fryer Buffalo Wings a try! Serve them with your favorite steamed veggies or a beautiful, crisp side salad and you have yourself a complete meal.Print
Air Fryer Buffalo Wings (Keto + Whole30)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2.5 lbs chicken wings
- OPTIONAL: 1 Tablespoon baking powder*
- cooking spray
- 1 cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Prep the Air Fryer basket by spraying with compliant cooking spray and turning to 380 F.
- Prepare the wings by placing them on a paper towel and pat dry. Add the wings to a mixing bowl and toss with salt, pepper and the baking powder.
- Add the seasoned wings to the basket, spray the tops with cooking spray and cook on 380 degrees for 18 minutes. Make sure to shake the basket halfway through to insure even cooking. After the 18 minutes, shake the chicken wings one more time and finish. Increase the temperature to 400 degrees, spray again with cooking spray and cook for 5 more minutes or until internal chicken temp is 165F
- When the wings are completely done cooking, remove the basket and add a mixing bowl. Pour the buffalo sauce over the wings and mix until each wing is covered.
- Serve with carrot and celery slices along with my homemade ranch.
- Add a small sauce pan and place over medium heat.
- Transfer all the ingredients to saucepan and heat until ghee is melted.
- Whisk together until combined and allow it to simmer around 4 minutes or so.
- Store any leftovers in a jar and in the fridge for 1 week.
- The purpose of the baking powder is to add a crisp to the wings.
- To help get a nice crunch, be sure to pat the chicken with a paper towel to remove any moisture.
- Make sure to shake the basket throughout the cooking process. This will ensure the chicken wing to get crispy and to cook evenly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Entrees/Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Whole30, Gluten Free, Keto
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 4 wings
- Calories: 250
- Sodium: 1229
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Protein: 20
- Cholesterol: 67
Keywords: Air Fryer Buffalo Wings, Buffalo Wings, Wings, Chicken Wings, Keto Recipes, Whole30
We made these yesterday and the entire family loved them. The air fryer really sped up the process and crisped up the wings and the Buffalo sauce was amazing! Will definitely make again!
Delicious! I made these during my Whole30. It’s amazing how crispy they get in the air fryer. We even reheated the leftovers the next night in the air fryer, and they were still delicious. Will be making again!
Hey Jo……..aren’t you so hooked on your air fryer??? Seems like everything comes out so crisp and perfect!!! Thrilled the buffalo wings were easy and so tasty. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Have a restful and blessed weekend.
I made these tonight and they are so delicious! Crispy and the sauce is the perfect level of spice.
So happy to hear Amy! Thank you
These are so good! This was my husband’s favorite dish during the 28 day challenge, and we’re making them again for Super Bowl Sunday. Thank you for sharing!
I have the PICKIEST Buffalo wing eating people
In my house. They pride themselves with knowing the best wings in St. Louis. They were doubtful of these wings I made for the super bowl. Well LET ME TELL YOU! They could not get enough! They were shocked at how good an crispy these were! Everyone loved them and now I have a new fun dinner to make
I’m looking forward to trying these tonight (just got an air fryer). The ingredients list baking powder but the instructions (step 2) say baking soda so just want to confirm that it’s baking powder. Thanks!
Well that is very confusing isn’t it. Baking powder should be the choice for this recipe. Thanks for making me aware. Have a wonderful evening.
This was my first time making wings in our air fryer. They turned out AMAZING! I was shocked at how crispy they were! My partner even loved the sauce. It has the perfect amount of heat. Will definitely be making these again!
Thank you so much. I am so happy to hear you loved it.
This might be a stupid question, but are you starting with frozen or fresh wings here? All I can find are frozen!
You can use either. I would just thaw the frozen before following the recipe.
Made this for the first time last night and we loved it! The baking powder did make it so crispy! We’ll definitely be making this again! Thank you for such a tasty recipe 😋
So happy to hear. Thank you so much