- 1 1/2 pounds plum or roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium garlic bulb
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 (28 ounce) San Marzano Tomatoes, canned
- 1/2 cup fresh basil + more for garnish if desired
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons ghee
Serve it with:
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise and place on a large sheet pan. Cut the onions in in big chunks and place on the sheet pan. Drizzle the tomatoes and onion with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with 1 tsp sea salt and 1/2 tsp pepper pepper. Slice the top off the garlic bulb and wrap the bottom portion in aluminum foil. Drizzle the top of the bulb with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt/pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until veggies are soft and charred.
- Heat an 8-quart pot over medium heat. Add in the ghee and then the whole can of tomatoes (with the liquid) basil leaves, chicken broth, and canned coconut milk. Transfer the roasted tomatoes and onions along with the juice from the baking sheet to the pot. Squeeze the garlic from the bottom of the bulb and add to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer together on low for 20 minutes.
- When finished cooking, transfer the mixture (in 2 batches if needed) to a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil and serve with my cauliflower fritters.
- To make this vegan, sub vegetable broth for the chicken broth and vegan butter for the ghee.
- In order to get the total number of NET carbs, subtract the amount of fiber from the carbs. 7 NET carbs per serving.
- Category: Soup/Entree
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 944
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 13
Keywords: Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, Soup, Keto, Whole30, Dairy Free