I could eat zucchini and squash for ever single meal. Anytime I cook a steak or a chicken breast, my Zucchini and Squash Skillet is the side dish I make to pair with it. It is super simple to make and includes minimal ingredients such as sliced zucchini, squash, onions, olive oil, salt/pepper and onion powder.
Not only is this one of my favorite side dishes, but it is one of the few my kids will eat also. Sometimes to make it a little more special for them, I will add a little shredded cheese. They will jump for joy and even ask for seconds. In my book, that is a WIN!
What you will need to make this Zucchini and Squash Skillet Side Dish:
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1 large squash
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- Onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Cast Iron or non stick skillet
What to serve with this side dish?
- Grilled steaks
- Grilled or baked chicken breasts
- Pork Chops
- Add to salads
- Pulled Pork
- Add chopped chicken or steak in the skillet to make a one pan meal.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a quick and simple side dish that will go with anything, give this recipe a try. Not only will this please the adult, but is also kid friendly. If you want to take it up a notch, simple add some shredded cheese.Print
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1/2 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a 10 or 12 inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Make sure that the olive oil is coating the entire pan so the zucchini and squash don’t stick.
- Use a sharp knife to chop off the ends of the zucchini and squash. Chop them into chunks. 1/2 inch chunks, rather than slices.
- Transfer the sliced onions into the hot skillet along with the chopped squash and zucchini to the hot skillet.
- Sauté for about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, parsley and onion powder.
- Remove the skillet from the heat once the squash is fork tender.
- Feel free to store any extras in a glass container and store in the fridge for up to one week.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 0.6
- Sodium: 388
- Fat: 3.5
- Carbohydrates: 1.7
- Fiber: 0.6
- Protein: 0.4