I could eat zucchini and squash for ever single meal. Anytime I cook a steak or a chicken breast, my Zucchini and Squash Skillet is the side dish I make to pair with it. It is super simple to make and includes minimal ingredients such as sliced zucchini, squash, onions, olive oil, salt/pepper and onion powder.
Not only is this one of my favorite side dishes, but it is one of the few my kids will eat also. Sometimes to make it a little more special for them, I will add a little shredded cheese. They will jump for joy and even ask for seconds. In my book, that is a WIN!
What you will need to make this Zucchini and Squash Skillet Side Dish:
- 2 large zucchinis
- 1 large squash
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- Onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Cast Iron or non stick skillet
What to serve with this side dish?
- Grilled steaks
- Grilled or baked chicken breasts
- Pork Chops
- Add to salads
- Pulled Pork
- Add chopped chicken or steak in the skillet to make a one pan meal.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a quick and simple side dish that will go with anything, give this recipe a try. Not only will this please the adult, but is also kid friendly. If you want to take it up a notch, simple add some shredded cheese.Print
This Zucchini and Squash Skillet is the perfect side dish. It is super simple to make and includes minimal ingredients such as zucchini, squash, onions, olive oil, salt/pepper and onion powder. It is Whole30, Keto and Paleo.
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1/2 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a 10 or 12 inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Make sure that the olive oil is coating the entire pan so the zucchini and squash don’t stick.
- Use a sharp knife to chop off the ends of the zucchini and squash. Chop them into chunks. 1/2 inch chunks, rather than slices.
- Transfer the sliced onions into the hot skillet along with the chopped squash and zucchini to the hot skillet.
- Sauté for about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, parsley and onion powder.
- Remove the skillet from the heat once the squash is fork tender.
- Feel free to store any extras in a glass container and store in the fridge for up to one week.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 0.6
- Sodium: 388
- Fat: 3.5
- Carbohydrates: 1.7
- Fiber: 0.6
- Protein: 0.4