We are obsessed with Indian food at our house. One of our go-to orders is Butter Chicken with homemade Naan from a local restaurant called Taj Mahal. The only problem with this restaurant is it’s not Paleo and super expensive. To remedy this, I wanted to create a healthy version that I can make for my family right at home. My Instant Pot Butter Chicken is just as good and also Whole30, Keto and Paleo compliant. Both delicious and nutritious.
What You Need to Make Instant Pot Butter Chicken:
- Chicken breasts
- Tomato sauce
- Olive oil
- White onion
- Garam Masala
- Chili powder
- Curry powder
- Chicken broth
- Canned coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro
Where can you find the Indian Spice, Garam Masala?
I’m from Missouri and I found that it was extremely hard finding this spice in our grocery stores. You can of course order through Amazon, but I didn’t have time to order, so I made up my own blend. If you are having a hard time locating in the store, use my recipe below. It will make extra, so just store any leftovers in a jar for later use.
This Garam Masala Spice recipe makes 1/4 cup
- Cumin, ground: 1 tablespoon
- Coriander, ground 1 ½ teaspoons
- Cardamom, ground 1 ½ teaspoons
- Black pepper, ground 1 ½ teaspoons
- Cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- Cloves, ground ½ teaspoon
- Nutmeg, ground ½ teaspoon
How to make this Butter Chicken without an Instant Pot?
Yes! You can make on the stove-top or even in the crock-pot. For more details, see below for the exact instructions.
- Crock-Pot Version: First, heat the onions and garlic with olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add in all the spices along with the chicken broth and stir. Transfer the onions to a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add in the diced chicken, ghee and then top with tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours or on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165F. Once chicken is done cooking, add in the coconut milk and stir to combine. Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Stove-Top Version:First heat the onions and garlic with olive oil for about 30 seconds in a large pot on the stove. Add in all the spices along with the chicken broth and stir and heat for around 3 minutes. Add in the diced chicken, ghee and then top with tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165F. Once chicken is done cooking, add in the coconut milk and stir to combine. Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
How to serve this Instant Pot Butter Chicken?
- Cauliflower Rice (For Keto, Whole30 and Paleo)
- Naan and regular rice (NOT Keto, Whole30 and Paleo)
- Steamed veggies
- Quinoa (NOT Keto, Whole30 and Paleo)
- Sautéed green beans
If you are craving Indian food, but don’t want all the calories, be sure to give this recipe a try. I promise it will not disappoint. Further, this recipe is perfect for leftovers. It heats up really well and can serve as additional meals throughout the week.Print
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1–15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoon garam masala* see notes
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and set to SAUTE. Once hot, add the, garlic and diced onions and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, curry powder, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, chili powder, and salt.
- Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn the Instant Pot to OFF.
- Add in the chicken broth and stir, making sure to scrap any burnt piece off the bottom.
- Add the tomato sauce and ghee, stir to combine.
- Place the diced chicken breasts on top of the sauce.
- Close and seal Instant Pot. Cook on Manual (HIGH) pressure for 12 minutes. Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent to immediately release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid and stir in the coconut milk.
- Remove from heat and serve with cauliflower rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- If you are having a hard time finding garma masala, see my above heading where I provide a homemade mixture.
- Storing leftovers: Place the butter chicken in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To thaw frozen butter chicken: Place the container in the refrigerator and let thaw overnight.
- To reheat: Mix your desired portion of rice and butter chicken. Warm in the microwave or on stovetop.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Whole30, Paleo, Keto
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 503
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 36
Keywords: Butter Chicken, Instant Pot Butter Chicken, Instant Pot Recipes, Chicken, Chicken Recipes