This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The appetizer party of the year is coming up so soon: Superbowl Sunday! Now of course we love the football and the commercials, but let’s be honest- the snacks are the real crowd favorite! Whether you’re looking for easy game day party appetizers or planning a large gathering, these Firecracker Chicken Meatballs are a must!
Healthy, Easy Party Appetizers!
This is not your ordinary meatball. These keto chicken meatballs feature a sweet, spicy, and savory firecracker sauce that is absolutely mind-blowing. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-carb, this appetizer is a healthy little secret, that everyone will love!
Make a double or even a triple batch! You can’t go wrong!
How to Make Firecracker Meatballs
The best part? These take 10 minutes to prep, and the oven does the rest! Dip them in the firecracker sauce and throw in a toothpick and you have easy party appetizers for the masses! Who doesn’t love finger foods?!
The combination of ground chicken, egg, almond flour, diced sweet onion, sriracha, garlic powder, parsley, salt, & pepper makes juicy, flavorful meatballs, without breadcrumbs! Throw it all in a bowl, mix it up, and scoop them onto a baking sheet! Easy!
Firecracker Sauce for Chicken Meatballs
The sauce for these chicken meatballs is where the magic is made. Combine chicken broth, Franks Hot Sauce, brown sugar Swerve*, keto sugar-free syrup or honey*, red pepper flakes (optional for extra spice), rice vinegar, coconut aminos, and xanthan gum into a fiery red, flavor-packed sauce that might as well pop when you eat it, they’re that good.
*If you are not keto or sugar-free you can use regular brown sugar for the brown sugar Swerve. You can also sub honey or maple syrup for sugar-free syrup.
Simply hold the meatball with a toothpick, dip it into the firecracker sauce, and plate! Garnish with chives or green onion and watch them disappear before your eyes!
More Easy Party Appetizers
How to Serve Firecracker Meatballs
How to Serve These Chicken Meatballs as an appetizer
I love serving these meatballs on a platter with toothpicks for easy access for guests. Serve alongside carrot and celery sticks with ranch to cut the spice. Your guests will love this!
How to Serve Firecracker Meatballs as a meal
These chicken meatballs with firecracker sauce actually work perfectly as a stand-alone meal! Serve over cauliflower mash and green beans to round out the perfect, healthy family meal!
Tips & Tricks
Protein: You can really choose to use whichever ground meat you prefer. Ground turkey, ground beef, or even ground pork would work just fine. I prefer ground chicken for mine, but test and see which is your favorite! Add it in the comments below- I love to hear your variations!
Keto Chicken Meatballs: If you’re keto and/or sugar-free, instead of using regular syrup or honey, and regular brown sugar, be sure to use Swerve Brown Sugar and sugar-free syrup instead! This will decrease both the carbs and calories!
Double-batch: This recipe makes 20 meatballs, but I’m telling you, they go fast! Simply double all ingredients to make an extra batch.
Can I freeze Firecracker Meatballs for later? Yes! I recommend baking the meatballs and placing them in a freezer-safe container lined with parchment paper. Leave the garnish off if you plan to freeze. Make the sauce and freeze this in a separate container. Defrost both meatballs and sauce overnight in the fridge.
To reheat the meatballs, place them in the microwave for 3-4 minutes or on a lined baking sheet at 350F for 20-25 minutes. To reheat the sauce for dipping, microwave in a microwave-safe container for 2 minutes.
Dip the meatballs in the sauce, garnish, and enjoy!
How do I store leftovers? Store leftover meatballs in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. Reheat for 2-3 minutes in the microwave and enjoy!
Is Firecracker Sauce spicy? The thing I love about this sauce is that it’s got a kick to it, but the sweetness helps balance it out. If you want them to be spicier, use the optional red pepper flakes in the sauce. Leave them out if you want your spice level to be more subtle.
More Delicious & Healthy Meatball Recipes
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sriracha no sugar added
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar Swerve*
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free syrup or honey*
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flake optional
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.In a large mixing bowl, add the ground chicken, beaten egg, almond flour, sriracha, salt, garlic, chopped onions, pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Using a cookie or small ice cream scoop, scoop the meat and shape it into 1 1/2-inch meatball (size of a golf ball).
- Transfer and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. You should have about 20 meatballs total.Brush the tops of the meatballs with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatballs read 165 F on a meat thermometer.
- Toss in the firecracker sauce and garnish with green chives or green onion.
- Add all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- As it becomes hot, add in the xanthan gum and whisk together until it begins to thicken.
- If you are not keto or sugar free you can use regular brown sugar for the brown sugar Swerve. You can also sub honey or maple syrup for the sugar free syrup.
- Sub tapioca or arrowroot flour for the xanthan gum. 1 1/2 Tbsp dissolved in a little bit of water
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.