There is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of my mom’s, Tortellini Soup. It is filled with pure goodness and is sure to warm your soul. Not only is it filled with big cheese tortellini, but it also includes ground sausage, tomatoes, spinach, chicken broth and cream cheese. With only 6 ingredients, the recipe is sure to keep you on budget while satisfying everyone at the table.
The good news about this recipe is it can be whipped up in no time at all and on the dinner table with minimal effort. This tortellini soup is also perfect for the kiddos. It has the cheese tortellini, which is a kid friendly food, along with some hidden veggies. Everything tastes so good mixed together, they will never know there are vegetables in it.
Can you make this Tortellini Soup in the crock-pot?
Yes, you can cook in the crock-pot, but there are a few modifications you will need to make. First, you will still have to brown your sausage before adding to the crock pot in addition to leaving out the tortellini until the last 10-12 minutes of cooking. Everything else can be added and cooked on low for 6-7 hours.
To save time, I will even make a couple of batches of this soup and freeze on batch and use the other as meal prep. I will prep a big pot on a Sunday and store in individual glass containers and eat on it through the week for lunch and dinner. In my opinion, as the soup sits, it gets better. I usually only allow it to sit in the fridge for up to a week before throwing it out. However, if you want to store in the freezer, it can last up to 3 months.
SHOP MY POST
Love this recipe? Be sure to check out my other favorites below:
Be sure to pin this recipe to your Pinterest Board:
A savory and creamy tortellini soup filled with ground sausage, cream cheese, spinach, tomatoes and chicken broth. Super easy to make and can be on your dinner table in 40 minutes.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 (17 oz) bag cheese tortellini
- 1 (6-oz) bag baby spinach
- 6–7 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14-oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 block cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, add the sausage and brown,until cooked through completely. Remove the sausage and transfer to a plate with a paper towel so that the grease can drain.
- In a large Dutch Oven or pot, add the cooked sausage, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, cream cheese and sausage.
- Allow these ingredients to cook together until it becomes creamy and the cream cheese is completely melted.
- Add the bags of cheese tortellini along with salt and pepper to taste. Let this simmer at a low heat until pasta is done. You want the pasta to be firm and grow in size. Around 8-10 minutes.
- Finally, add the bag of spinach and let cook down, around 3-4 additional minutes.
- Don’t boil or cook at a higher heat. This will break down the pasta making the noodles mushy.
- This recipe is a great crock pot option also. You will have to brown your sausage before adding to the crock pot in addition to leaving out the tortellini until the last 10-12 minutes of cooking.
- For the crock-pot cook on low for 6-7 hours
- This recipe will last 1 week stored in a sealed container or jar. You can also freeze in a freezer proof container for up to 3 months.
- If you like more veggies in your soup, feel free to add another half bag of spinach.
- Category: Dinner/Soup