Every month I have a food budget I try to stick to and these Pistachio Crusted Tuna Patties fit perfectly as an inexpensive meal that the whole family loves. Canned tuna is a great source of protein that won’t break the bank and can make a tasty meal. In addition, my creamy Lemon Herb Aioli pairs perfect with the patties and brings out so many bright flavors.
When I think about tuna patties, it brings me back so many childhood memories. My momma would make tuna or salmon patties and serve with them with peas, mashed potato and gravy, I can smell that meal as I type this. YUM! Oh yeah, those were the days when I had someone cooking for me.
In honor of childhood meals, I put a spin on the regular tuna patty and created a version that is Paleo, Whole30, and Keto compliant. My mom would always add crumbled up Ritz crackers and butter to her version, so to make this healthy, I subbed tapioca flour to hold the patty together and ghee to get the brown crispy skin. It honestly tastes just as good as the version I ate 20 years ago.
Now that I have a family of my own, I want to make the same memories with my girls surrounding food. Hopefully, they will have the same feeling in 20 years when they eat or smell tuna patties.
What can I sub for almond flour when cooking these Pistachio Crusted Tuna Patties?
Coconut flour is a great substitute, but sometimes I find the flavor a little strong. To balance it I like to mix tapioca OR arrowroot flour to the coconut flour. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 cup almond flour, I will use 1/2 cup coconut flour and 1/2 cup arrowroot OR tapioca flour.
Can I cook these Pistachio Crusted Tuna Patties in the skillet or air fryer?
You can cook these pistachio crusted tuna patties in the oven, air fryer or skillet. I find the easiest way to cook would be the oven or air fryer because they hold their form easier. Through experience I have found that the tuna patties will fall apart from flipping and moving them.
- To cook in the air fryer, cover the basket with cooking spray and place the patties in a single layer and cook on 400 F for around 10 minutes. Flip half way through to make sure it cooks even on each side.
- To cook in the skillet simply add a couple of tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil to a skillet and cook on medium/high heat around 4 minutes on each side.
What else can I use the Lemon & Herb Aioli for?
This sauce is so easy and yummy to make. If you decide to make a big batch on Sunday, it will lasts you the rest of the week in the fridge. You can add this to protein, veggies or on top of a salad. I even put this on my eggs some mornings and it adds so much flavor. Sometimes I can get so bored with the same chicken and veggie dish over and over again that it’s refreshing to add this sauce that adds a ton of flavor.
Click below to save to your Pinterest board.
Shop my post
Click here for my 60 Second Mayo:
Other recipes you may like:
- 5 cans tuna ((5 oz cans))
- 1 tbsp compliant mayo
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard ((Annie’s is my favorite compliant brand))
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup ground pistachios
- fresh parsley (,for garnish)
Lemon Herb Aioli
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 small garlic clove ((If you don’t like a garlic taste, cut the clove in half))
- Preheat oven to 400 F, Line a baking sheet with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in 5 cans of tuna, drained, along with 1 egg, lemon juice, zest, chopped onions, Dijon mustard, seasonings, and almond flour.
- Mix together until completely combined.
- Form tuna into 1 1/2 inch thick patties (or desired size). This recipe will usually make 8 patties.
- Roll the tuna patties in the ground pistachios ( I grind mine in the food processor) Add the patties to baking sheet
- Add the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add a tuna patty on top of greens, drizzle with Lemon Aioli and garnish with fresh parsley.
Lemon Dill Sauce
- Add 1 cup of compliant mayo to a bowl. My recipe for mayo: (1 cup of light olive oil, 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tsp lemon juice) Add all your ingredients to a mason jar and use your immersion blender to mix together until thick and creamy.
- Mix in the seasonings along with the lemon juice and zest. Combine with a spoon.
- Category: Appetizer, Main Dish