Healthy Paleo Butternut Squash Soup (Vitamix Option!)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious, healthy butternut squash soup recipe features a rich & creamy blend of roasted squash, garlic, chicken broth, & coconut milk. Topped with crispy chopped bacon and cilantro pumpkin seeds, this beautiful soup bursts with flavor in every bite. Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Whole30.
What Makes This Recipe Work
Cozy soups are what I crave all Fall and Winter. My dairy-free, paleo butternut squash soup is no exception! This delicious blend of roasted squash, garlicky goodness, creamy coconut milk, and savory chicken broth is just incredible. Even more perfect, I top my squash soup with crispy bacon and cilantro pumpkin seeds and drizzle with coconut milk to make the flavors even more dazzling. This easy recipe is done in no time as I throw all the ingredients into my Vitamix and let that baby work for me!
Whole30 and Paleo compliant and low in carbs, this beautiful bowl of goodness is approved by my kids, husband, and even my new little puppy Archie. It’s a real crowd pleaser!
chicken broth: chicken broth really adds to the savory flavor of the soup. I recommend chicken bone broth which really has some wonderful health benefits (like collagen!). You can find this in brands like Kettle & Fire from your local organic grocery store.
bacon: I think the crisp bacon topping adds a ton of depth and flavor to this squash soup. I always buy sugar-free bacon (which makes it Whole30 compliant!). However, feel free to omit the bacon. The soup alone will still blow your mind!
coconut milk: To make my butternut squash soup dairy-free, I use coconut milk. I love the thick, creamy flavor it adds!
butternut squash: If you feel totally overwhelmed by having to roast butternut squash, or you’re in a pinch and want something quick, you can buy pre-cut butternut squash at your local grocery store!
How To Cook Butternut Squash
So many readers wonder how to cook butternut squash. It does look quite intimidating, but I promise it’s actually quite easy!
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Line a large roasting sheet with parchment paper. Place the butternut squash cut in half lengthwise (scoop out all the seeds just like you would a pumpkin), carrots, onion, and garlic on a roasting sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add to the top shelf of your oven.
- After 20 minutes of roasting, remove the onions and garlic. After 45 minutes, remove the squash and carrots. Make sure it is fork tender and allow to cool before scooping out the squash.
That’s it! All you have to do is cut the squash, scoop the seeds, drizzle with oil, and roast in the oven! Once cooled. scoop it out and add it to your blender. Cooking butternut squash has never been easier!
Peachy Tips & Tricks
If you don’t have a Vitamix to blend your butternut squash soup ingredients, don’t worry! There are alternative methods that will work just as well! The time it takes to blend may differ, but just eyeball it and know you’re done when all the ingredients are blended smooth!
alternative options: immersion blender, regular blender, Nutribullet, food processor
How I Serve This Soup
I drizzle the top of my roasted butternut squash soup with fresh coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, and crispy sugar-free bacon pieces. It’s perfect for any meal! Try warming up some of this soup in a mug in the mornings and sip on it on your drive to work.
Yes! A bowl of my paleo butternut squash soup is just 176 calories and 8 carbs (toppings included)! Have two bowls!
Yes! To meal prep with this squash soup, I recommend making a big batch on Sunday and use for meals throughout the week. On occasion, I will make 2 batches and freeze the second batch for an easy meal later in the month.
You can absolutely freeze this soup recipe. I love whipping up a few batches of this soup and storing them in freezer-proof containers. When ready to eat, I will thaw and reheat in my dutch oven. Freezing is perfect if you are craving a bowl of creamy butternut squash soup on a crisp fall day but don’t feel like cooking. Last 3-5 months.
Pin this Recipe!
Shop My Post
Other Vitamix Soup Recipes
Healthy Paleo Butternut Squash Soup | Vitamix Option
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 3- pound butternut squash cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 3 large carrots diced in big chunks
- 1 medium onion quarter the onion, big chunks
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 slices bacon chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pumpkin seeds and thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large roasting sheet with parchment paper. Place the butternut squash, carrots, onion, and garlic on a roasting sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add to the top shelf of your oven. Roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of roasting, remove the onions, carrots, and garlic. Roast the squash for 25 more minutes. Make sure it is fork-tender and allow it to cool before scooping out the squash.
- Once cool, start scooping out the inside and transfer the squash and carrots to your blender (I use a Vitamix) along with the onions and garlic. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock. Depending on desired consistency, add more broth for thinner soup and less for a thicker consistency.
- Add in the ghee and coconut milk and blend until all ingredients are smooth.
- Add more seasoning to taste and top with bacon, fresh thyme, and pumpkin seeds. Drizzle everything with fresh coconut milk to make the flavors explode.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.