Keto Paleo Recipes Whole30

Beef Tips & Gravy over Cauliflower Mash

Hands down, this Beef Tips & Gravy over Cauliflower Mash recipe is by far my new favorite recipe of ALL TIME. I live for comfort food and this meal makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. With this meal, I have to control myself because you will find me creeping in the kitchen for seconds and thirds. Creating delicious meals that serve my family in a healthy way is what I live for! When my husband looks at me and says, “Babe this is a flipping WINNER DINNER!” I feel so so good inside, almost like I am nailing this whole wife and mom thing, haha. The best part about this recipe is I have developed it for the stove and instant pot!

Cauliflower mash is my current obsession because let’s face it, it almost tastes like real taters without all the guilt. If you are living Keto, Whole30 or Paleo, try utilizing cauliflower more to serve as a yummy substitute for starchier foods. To get the texture of mashed potatoes I simply boil a couple of bags of cauliflower rice, drain and add to my Vitamix. Next, I will add in a little coconut milk along with Fourth and Heart Ghee, fresh chives, salt and pepper, and some garlic. Talk about mouth watering! You honestly can’t even tell the difference between these and real mashed potatoes.

Gravy is something that will bring any dish to life and it took me a long time to figure out the perfect recipe that aligns with the Paleo guidelines. Tapioca and Arrowroot flour are game changers for Paleo cooking and serves as a great thickening agents that are the perfect substitute for real flour. I also love brightening up my roast along with just plain ham steaks with this gravy. It will turn a boring meal into something really special

If you are needing a simple meal that will impress the entire family, then give this recipe a try. It is perfect for a Sunday lunch dinner and even a quick meal throughout a busy week.

What if my gravy that goes over the beef tips does not get thick?

Because arrowroot and tapioca are a Paleo substitute for real four/thickening agent, don’t expect the gravy to be as thick as the traditional gravy. My gravy is the consistency of a thicker soup. Feel free to add less broth to make it thicker or experiment with adding a little more tapioca flour. Remember, it will have to simmer and as it heats it will begin to thicken. If you are living strict Keto, feel free to sub almond flour

Whisk 1 part coconut or almond flour with 1 part cold water to create a slurry.

UPDATE: I have also developed an Instant Pot & Crockpot version of this recipe and I couldn’t be more excited about it. The steak is so tender and it takes no time at all!

Shop my post:

Arrowroot Flour

Organic Arrowroot Powder (Flour) - 1 Pound Resealable Bag (16oz) - 100% Raw From Vietnam - by Feel Good Organics

Tapioca Flour

Organic Tapioca Flour/Starch (2.5lbs) by Anthony's, Gluten-Free & Non-GMO

Instant Pot

Instant Pot Smart WiFi 6 Quart Multi-use Electric Pressure, Slow, Rice Cooker, Yogurt, Cake Maker, Sauté, Steamer and Warmer, Silver

Crock Pot

Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker with with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel

Dutch Oven

Click on the picture below to save to your Pinterest board.

Want other healthy comfort food recipes? Click below to check out a few more of my favorites:

Beef Tips & Gravy over Cauliflower Mash

• Author: Ashley McCrary
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 20 minutes
  • Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings 1x

Description

Savory tender beef sirloin tips drenched with brown gravy and served over cauliflower mash. This meal is not only delicious, but it is also Keto, Whole30 and Paleo compliant.

Scale

Ingredients

Sirloin Tips

• 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat or sirloin tips
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic (minced)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pinch of pepper

Gravy

• 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 1/2 tsp ghee
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • pepper (to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp salt (add more to taste if needed)
  • 2 tbsp tapioca flour ( dissolved in 2 tbsp water (for Keto, sub 1/4 tsp xanthan gum)

Mashed Cauliflower

• 2 (12oz) bags cauliflower rice (or 1 head of cauliflower, chopped-boiled or steamed)
  • 2 tsp ghee
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp chives (fresh or dry)
  • 2 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt (add more to taste if needed)
  • 1/4 tsp pepper (add more to taste if needed)

Instructions

Sirloin Tips & Gravy

1. In a large skillet heat oil over high heat. Add the meat and a little salt and pepper and cook on high heat until meat is browned on all sides; about 5 minutes.
  2. Pour 2 cups beef broth over the meat and drippings and bring to a boil then reduce heat. Add dissolved tapioca flour, ghee, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the beef broth. (The broth will not thicken automatically, it will thicken as it heats up and simmers.
  3. Mix thoroughly and stir into the meat. Simmer until the meat is tender and the gravy is thick. (The longer it simmers, the more tender the meat. I recommend simmering on low with lid for an additional 30 minutes or longer).

Cauliflower Mash

1. Bring 1 head of cauliflower chopped or 2 bags of cauliflower rice to a boil, about 10 minutes.
  2. Drain liquid from the cauliflower and add to the food processor with garlic powder, chives, ghee, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
  3. Blend together until smooth and top with fresh chives. Make sure NOT over blend or it will turn into a soupy puree.
  4. Add Cauliflower mash to a plate and top with beef tips along with creamy gravy. Garnsih with fresh or dried parsley

Instant Pot Version

1. Turn on the Instant Pot and set to sauté and allow time to heat up
  2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and place the steak pieces in. Cook until the outside of the steak is browned.
  3. Before adding in the gravy ingredients, turn the settings on the instant pot to high pressure. Once this setting is on, add all ingredients for the gravy. Make sure to add the tapioca flour last, dissolved in water first. It will mix evenly this way. Once it heats up, the gravy should thicken.
  4. Lock the lid making sure the top vent is sealed. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. If the broth is not thick enough after pressure cooking, add a 1/2 tbsp MORE tapioca flour and turn onto “Sauté” mode and bring to a boil.
  5. I usually use natural release, but it’s fine if you do quick release if you are in a hurry. I find that the steak is a little more tender with the natural release.

Crockpot Version

1. Brown the beef tips over medium/high heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Remove and add meat to crockpot.
  2. Throw all the ingredients EXCEPT the tapioca flour in the crockpot (Using an additional 1 cup of broth for this version)
  3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-7 hours.
  4. 15 minutes before serving, dissolve the 2 tbsp of tapioca flour in 2 tbsp of water and add to the crockpot. Mix in completely and stir until it begins to thicken. Cook on low 15 additional minutes. (If you want it a little thicker, you may need to add 1/2 tbsp MORE tapioca flour)

Notes

Note: My gravy won’t be as thick as using regular flour. It is the consistency of a thicker soup. Feel free to add less broth to make it thicker or experiment with adding a little more tapioca flour. Remember, it will have to simmer and as it heats it will begin to thicken.

Note: For Keto, whisk 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum to thicken the gravy without added carbs. Tapioca flour does contain some carbs so this is a great sub.

• Category: Main Dish
  • Cuisine: American

Comments (79)

• This dish was super simple and crowd pleasing. It is the perfect comfort food for a chilly fall day. I also added some mini portabello mushrooms. They were perfect. Thank you for sharing. It will be in my regular fall/winter meal rotation.

• So delish!!! Thank you Mac!!!

• Thank you!!!

• Made this and it did not disappoint! Great flavors with simple ingredients. Definitely a winner!

• So glad you loved it!

• You’re a genius! This recipe was such a hit with my husband and I. It is such a hearty and comforting winter meal, but you don’t feel weighed down after you’re finished like you would be with potatoes. Thanks for creating such a yummy recipe!

• Yay….this makes me so happy. I am glad you guys loved it

• Could I make this in a crockpot? Looks delicious!

• I have not tried yet. I would say set your crockpot on low and give it a shot. I would wait to add the tapioca flour right before serving to thicken.

• This was delicious! My husband and I loved the sauce. I used too much pepper, so I’ll tone it down next time. My kids will enjoy it more when it is less spicy. Thank you for sharing!!

• Can you use arrowroot instead of tapioca flour? I’m going to make this over the weekend and I don’t have tapioca flour.

• Yes you can!

• I was hoping you would come out with an instant pot version! I can’t wait to try this! Just to clarify- you do go ahead and add the gravy ingredients to the IP before locking the lid and cooking under pressure, correct?

• Yes, that is correct!

• New to instpot and just tried this recipe. Really unclear on the natural release… don’t we have to know how long it should naturally release for?

• Natural Release does it for you. It usually takes between 12 and 20 minutes. If you want it done quicker, quick release is fine too.

• First time we have LOVED cauliflower mash!! Such great flavor and texture!! Thank you! Oh and the beef tips and gravy were pretty great, too!

• Hello! This looks tasty!
    Can I use xantham gum instead of tapioca flour? Thanks!

• Yes! You would just need to use 1/4 tsp.

• i am so excited to try this later! i have the stew meat in the crock pot right now, because i don’t have an instant pot! super excited for dinner!

• How many oz was each bag of Cauli Rice? I cannot wait to make this!

• 2-12oz bags

• I made this for dinner tonight and it was so yummy, even my 3 year old gobbled it up! Thank you, I will definitely make this again!

• I can’t wait Ron give this a try!

• I made this at the end of my September Whole30 and it did not disappoint! It has become a go-to meal in my house and my keto-eating husband loves this too (he makes exceptions for the minimal amount of tapioca). I generally make it on the stove, but the instant pot version is super easy too.

• Made the mashed Cauliflower the other night… the best!!! You rock Mac. Thanks for putting so much of you into everything you do.

• *cauli mash , not Holly March — (my phone did a weird auto correct!) 😂

• Just a side note. The Tapioca Powder is not really Keto friendly. Lots of carbs.

• That is why I have included substitutes. Be sure to check those out as they are listed in the tips.

• I’m looking forward to this meal! If I have almond flour on hand, would that work okay?

• What sort of bagged cauliflower rice did you use?

• I buy the 12 oz bags at Sam’s Club. The Member Mark brand.

• This is delicious! Definitely a family favorite!

• Want to add mushrooms, have you added them ever and would you just do it at the end? I would think they would overcook in the instant pot?

• You could add them at the end during the thickening of the gravy stage.

• I just made this and could not stop eating it! It’s absolutely delicious!! I also added onions and carrots to the instant pot before pressurizing. Worked out perfectly.

• We have a dairy allergy in our home ghee replacement ideas??

• You could certainly use coconut oil.

• Can you add vegetables to this?

• You absolutely can. a lot of people love adding onions and a can of mushrooms. Feel free to make it your own.

• Made the beef tips and gravy last night and it was a hit! I substituted Arrowroot for the flour, and simmered for an hour. I made my non-dairy mashed potatoes to go with this and some savory roasted carrots on the side, Yummy! Will definitely be making this again, as it is also such a good base for that you can hearty up! Thanks for sharing!

• Thank you so much! I am so glad you loved them

• I just bought sirloin steaks for the first time. Would those work in this recipe? I’m not sure what the difference between those and sirloin tips are.

• Yes. That would absolutely work. Just dice into cubes.

• Yes ma’am. It is the full fat unsweetened.

• The tapioca flour is what thickens the sauce, Almond flour won’t do the exact same there in this case. You could use Gelatin instead or even arrowroot flour.

• This recipe is absolutely amazing!! Such a great comfort food that is still health conscious. Love it!!

• Thank you so much for the 5 start rating. I really appreciate you trying the recipe and taking time to comment.

• This recipe is one that is always on our weekly menu. Our whole family loves it.

• So good!

• Thank you Britton!

• This recipe is amazing! I did not think the cauliflower was going to magically transform into something that actually tastes like whipped potatoes, but it DOES! Definitely make this comforting meal!

• Wow! This makes my heart so happy. Thank you 😉

• Convinced my meat and potatoes loving husband that the Whole30 was possible!

• Easy, healthy and delicious!! Made it for my in laws and they loved it!

• Thank you Katelyn! So glad you love this recipe.

• This is a new favorite around here, I prefer to add extra ghee and onion powder (1/2ish teaspoon) to the gravy. It give it a more beef stew flavor that is my husbands favorite.

• This recipe was so easy and even more delicious!!! Can’t wait to make it again.

• I am so happy to hear you loved it. Thank you 😉

• So delicious, easy, and quick! Thank you for such an awesome dish!

• Literally wanted to lick the pot! This was fantastic!! And fulfilled me need for comfort food but in a healthier form.

• Always lick the pot. No gravy should be left 🙂 Thank you for the kind comment.

• So easy and delicious! Even my boyfriend, who is a meat and potato kinda guy, drooled over this dish. Thank you, Ashley!

• I love this so much. So glad you both love this recipe.

• Delicious! I love your recipes and appreciate the time you put into bringing these to us.

• We LOVE this recipe! I make this almost every week and we never get tired of it. Seriously so good and so easy. Perfect for nights when I don’t have lots of time. I just throw it together and let it simmer until we’re ready to eat (the longer the better). Even my very picky husband loves it. I made it during our first whole 30 and it was like a sigh of relief. Delicious, soul satisfying, comfort food.

• I am so happy you guys like this recipe. Thank you!

• Heaven! I made this for my future inlaws over the weekend. It was such a hit!

• Mac,
    You are literally a genius. This recipe is so easy and DELICIOUS. Made this for my sister and I and I have to admit I ate most of it myself before she had a chance because it was so dang good. Thank you for your amazing free recipes and even sweeter heart. Love your website and following you on Instagram too!. <3

• This is so incredibly sweet. Thank you for all the kind words and for loving my recipes. It makes me so very happy!

• This recipe is on repeat in my house, so good and so easy!!

• Love this recipe and it’s husband approved! Simple and rich in flavor! Always a go to for what should we eat this week!

• This was delicious and the perfect fall dish! Will make again!

• Family favorite here. Everyone loves this dish, including the two year old.

• Such a great recipe…it’s a family favorite!!

• Amazing

• Thank you!!

• Hi, not clear on the directions if I’m using cauliflower rice, do you still add the other ingredients as if you are using a head of cauliflower? Thanks!

• Not sure how to answer your questions. My instructions are based on 2 bags of steamed cauliflower rice. You can boil a head of cauliflower and throw that along with all the other ingredients into a food processor instead of the cauliflower rice if needed.

Write a comment