Whole30 Kung Pao Chicken (Keto + Paleo)
Published May 19, 2020 Updated Jan 02, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My new favorite Whole30 Kung Pao Chicken will literally blow your mind. The flavor is out of this world and to make it even better, it is Whole30, Keto, Paleo along with gluten and dairy free. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Chinese takeout is something that soothes my soul. I used to love grabbing carryout on a Friday night. I LOVED IT. However, most take out meals are full of MSG and gluten, which isn’t something that agrees with my tummy. I am so glad I was able to create a Chinese dish that tastes just as good as takeout.
This dish is a little spicy and you can tone it down by how many red peppers you add. We are big fans of spice, so I add around 6 or 7. I usually don’t sit and eat these peppers by themselves, but they do add a ton of flavor to this recipe.
What you will need for this Whole30 Kung Pao Chicken:
- Chicken breast, diced
- Red Bell Pepper
- Yellow onion
- Green Onions
- Red Chili Peppers
- Coconut Aminos
- Rice Vinegar
- Fish Sauce
- Garlic and Ginger
- Xanthum Gum
Below is breakdown of the process for cooking this dish. In my opinion, it tastes so better to cook the chicken and veggies separately, then tossing it all together in the sauce at the end. It is also important to make sure to drain the juice while cooking the chicken. This will ensure you get a crisp on the chicken. In conclusion, this Kung Pao Chicken is so simple to make and can be done and on the dinner table in 20 minutes or less.Print
Whole30 Kung Pao Chicken
This Kung Pao Chicken dish is Whole30 and Gluten Free and is a must-have for all your Chinese takeout lovers. The chicken stir fry is drenched in the Kung Pao sauce will make you believe that healthy can truly tastes delicious.
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4–5 servings 1x
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into fourths
- 5–6 dried red chili peppers
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 3 green scallions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Garnish with a few cashews, chopped
Kung Pao Sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 1/2 tbsp chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp xanthun gum, dissolved in 1 tbsp. water (OR use 1 tsp arrowroot powder)
- 2 1/2 tsp sesame seed oil
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 teaspoon granulated Monk Fruit sweetener for Keto , OR honey for Paleo (This option is not Whole30)
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and black pepper.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Kung Pao Sauce and whisk together in a small sauce pan. Bring to a light boil over medium/high heat. Remove and set to the side.
- In a large skillet or wok, add in the olive oil along with the diced chicken breast. Sauté over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes. Be sure to drain any liquid as the chicken cooks. This will ensure that it browns properly.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in a bowl. Set to the side.
- Transfer the red bell pepper chunks, red chili peppers, cashews, zucchini, and scallions to the skillet and stir. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and stir together. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with crushed red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- Serve cauliflower rice and enjoy!
- If the sauce doesn’t thicken, add a little more xanthum gum or arrowroot flour.
- Store in the fridge for 4-5 days in a air-tight container.
- Only 7 NET carbs per serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entrees/Quick
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Asian, Whole30, GF
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 3.2
- Sodium: 408.2
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 43.3
Keywords: Whole30 Kung Pao Chicken, Whole30 Recipes, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo
Made this dish for dinner tonight and had to sub the chili’s and chili flakes for franks hot sauce and it was still so fabulous! Thanks for the Amazing recipe!
Thanks so much Kayla! I am so happy to hear it was a hit
This was DELICIOUS! Thank you!!
So happy to hear. Thank you
This is going to be in the dinner rotation. My boys loved it!
So happy to hear this. Thank you
So good. I added 4 dried red chilis into the oil before adding the chicken. I also added Chinese 5 spice powder with salt and pepper and just added my veggies(zucchini, bok choy and yellow onions) into the browned chicken and let chicken cook longer with added veggies. I love arrowroot powder, it really thickens up the sauce nicely. No chicken broth so just used water as it’s only a couple of TBSP. Served with rice noodles for my son and husband but I didn’t need any noodles and neither does my waist! Thank you so much!!
I made this last night and it was sooo good! Even my picky eater liked it!
Hi! I couldn’t find dried red chili peppers. Could I use red pepper flakes instead?
You can certainly try that. I am sure it will taste just fine.
Delicious! Husband and daughters also enjoyed it! Definitely a must try if you have not tried it already!
This was so delicious! My husband had two servings! I omitted the fish sauce (because I forgot to buy it and wasn’t sure what exactly to buy) but it was extremely tasty and guilt free!! Thank you!
This makes me so happy to hear. Thank you!
It was pretty good, but in our opinion it could stand to have the sauce doubled, at least.
Next time, I know!
Literally one of my FAVORITES! The Kung Pao Recipe is an absolute staple in my house! I cannot believe how yummy and flavorful this is! It’s so much healthier than take out, but it is absolutely just as flavorful! I simply cannot! 🤯
I am thrilled to hear your feedback. Creating meals to become a family favorite is what I love to do. People like you that let me know this is so gratifying. Thanks for your positive words. Happy eating!!!