Shrimp & Cauliflower Grits
Comfort food is something my family lives for. I get frustrated with the “normal” comfort food because those recipes are usually packed with tons of unhealthy calories and ingredients. On my journey to living a healthy life, I have found unique ways to recreate my favorite comfort foods in a healthy and satisfying way. Shrimp and Grits is one of my favorite comfort dish, but the traditional recipe doesn’t align with my Paleo lifestyle. My goal in creating new recipes is to always include the most flavor in the healthiest way possible. Let me just say, this recipe does not disappoint and brings traditional comfort food to a new and healthy level.
You would never guess this delicious recipe is Whole30 and Paleo compliant. The key in cooking this dish is allowing the shrimp to marinate in my homemade sauce overnight or at least 1 to 3 hours before cooking. It soaks up the flavor nicely and comes out juicy and flavorful. Top beautiful sautéed spinach and cauliflower mash with juicy shrimp and you have a complete meal.
Let’s just take a second and talk about this amazing garlic cauliflower mash. It tastes just like mashed potatoes, it’s creamy, buttery and has a texture that mimics real mashed potatoes. When I first started my health journey, I hated the idea of making cauliflower mash because I thought it would be time consuming and flavorless. It took me a little while to jump on the “cauliflower train,” but now that I am riding it, I am never getting off. This mash not only completes this dish but can be used as a side dish with your favorite veggie and protein. It is yummy with any meal.
Healthy doesn’t have to be boring and this recipe is proof that it can not only be delicious but also satisfying and sustaining. If you are trying to make healthier eating habits, make sure to eat foods and dishes that you enjoy and always try to recreate favorite foods in a healthy way. This is one tip that has helped my family stay consistent on our journey to overall health. Eating grilled chicken breasts and salads every day can be exhausting and flavorless. Make sure to use your resources and develop and create yummy food that your whole family will enjoy and love. This will allow you to be successful in your journey to accomplishing overall health and wellness.
Click on the picture below to save to your Pinterest Board
Garlic Cauliflower Mash
- 1 bag of cauliflower pearls or rice
- 1/2 cup unsweeted coconut milk/or Orginal Nutpods (canned or culinary)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp dry or fresh chives
- 1 tsp pepper
Shrimp and Marinade
- 1 1/2 pounds Jumbo Shrimp (Uncooked)
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1 Lime (juiced)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ghee (Use for cooking shrimp)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (Use for cooking shrimp)
- In a medium bowl mix together all of the marinade ingredients and allow to shrimp to marinate for 1 to 3 hours.
- In a large skillet melt your ghee and olive oil. Add in your shrimp and allow them to cook 3-5 minutes depending on their size.
- Place a few inches of water in a large pot and place on high heat on the stove. Once water is boiling, add in your cauliflower rice or pearls to the water.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and return cauliflower.
- Add the cauliflower, ghee, garlic, spices, coconut milk and chicken broth to a Vitamix or food processor.
- Blend together until all ingredients are combined. The cauliflower should be thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a skillet on medium heat and melt your ghee and olive oil.
- Add in your garlic then throw in your spinach.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the top and add salt and pepper. Cook until tender and wilted.
Shrimp & Grits
- Add your cauliflower mash to the bottom of a plate then add your spinach and top with shrimp. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the whole dish and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Shrimp
Welcome to Healthy Little Peach. I’m Mac, the lady behind the recipes. I believe in living a healthy lifestyle that consists of a mix of healthy whole foods, and full-fat comfort meals. Life is too short not to enjoy good food while maintaining a healthy body and mind. Here you will find gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, keto, and even full-fat comfort recipes. Let’s have fun in the kitchen together!