Mac’s Awesome Sauce Tomatoes
Growing up, I had a fabulous southern grandmama who was the best cook around. Her food always made me feel warm and loved. She had me hooked at a young age with her “special mayo” that she would make and leave in the fridge. She would add this sauce to her coleslaw, veggies, and sandwiches. For me, it’s one of those foods that brings back so many great feelings and memories. Grandma Sue Sue was not only my favorite person in the whole world, but she was a great person to share a great meal with.
I remember walking in the back door at her house and she would jump up, give me a BIG hug and ask, “Honey, what can I make you to eat.” Her love language was food and she made everyone not only fall in love with her sweet spirit, but also her food. As she would eat her food she would twirl her fork in the air and always suggest that I eat slowly and savor every bite.
Unfortunately, the sauce she created is not Whole30 or Paleo compliant, so I recreated a version that would align with my families lifestyle. I am so excited that I was able to recreate a clean version that I call, Mac’s Awesome Sauce. This stuff is beyond delicious and makes you want to lick the spoon, twice.
This sauce can be used in a variety of ways, but my favorite way is on baked tomatoes. These cuties will melt in your mouth and serve as a great appetizer or side dish for any occasion. They are a great addition to summer BBQ’s, family gatherings or even Super Bowl Sunday. These tomatoes are creamy and like nothing you have ever tasted. I promise you won’t just eat one.
Slice a few beefsteak tomatoes 1/2 thick, slap on top some Mac’s Awesome Sauce, throw on a sheet pan and bake until the tops are a little crispy. To finish these babies off, add fresh basil and some crispy bacon. Serve with a Sunday roast, grilled chicken, or even over the top of scrambled eggs. They are so yummy and versatile you can really incorporate into any meal.
Give these delicious tomatoes a try this weekend during Super Bowl Sunday or during your weeknight meal. When you eat them, remember what my Grandmamma would say twirling her fork in the air, “savor every bite.”
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 slices of approved bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 3 large big beefsteak tomatoes (1/2 inch slices)
Mac’s Awesome Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of light olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon (juiced)
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped onions
Mac’s Awesome Sauce
- First, make your mayo by adding 1 egg, salt, lemon juice, 1 cup olive oil, 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp ground mustard to a jar. Blend all ingredients together using your immersion blender. If you are using a regular blender, you will want to add your olive oil in slowly. Mix all ingredients together until thick and creamy. If you have a hard time getting it thick, try adding 1/4 cup more LIGHT olive oil.
- Next, add in your coconut aminos, chopped onions, salt and pepper to your mayo mix. Mix together using a spoon.
- Preheat oven, broil 450°F
- Cut 3 beefsteak tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices and spread out on a baking sheet
- Spoon a tsp of the mayo mixture on top of each tomato and spread over the top evenly.
- Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the tops of the tomatoes are crispy. Keep a close eye on these.
- While your tomatoes are cooking, throw a couple of slices of bacon in a skillet and fry up until crispy. Blot with a paper towel to remove access grease and chop with a knife.
- Top each tomato with chopped bacon and freshly diced basil
Click here for the coconut aminos I use.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
Welcome to Healthy Little Peach. I’m Mac, the lady behind the recipes. I believe in living a healthy lifestyle that consists of a mix of healthy whole foods, and full-fat comfort meals. Life is too short not to enjoy good food while maintaining a healthy body and mind. Here you will find gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, keto, and even full-fat comfort recipes. Let’s have fun in the kitchen together!