- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1–15oz can diced tomatoes. drained
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- 3 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 cup chopped jicama
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked bacon, pickles and shredded lettuce for topping
Dairy Free Queso
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup cashews
- ¾ cups nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- In a large pot, add the ghee along with the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes then add the ground beef. Cook until completely browned. Around 6-7 minutes.
- Transfer the beef broth, coconut milk, diced tomatoes (drained), mustard, pickle juice, paprika and jicama. Stir and bring to a bowl then reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the soup is cooking, make the dairy free queso by adding the hot water, cashews, nutritional yeast and xanthan gum. Blend on high speed for about 20-30 seconds until the mixture becomes thick.
- Pour this mixture into the soup and stir until combined. As this heats the queso will melt into the soup.
- Allow to simmer on low heat at least 45 minutes to an hour to cook the jicama. I actually like the crunch of the jicama not being completely cooked, so I will only cook 30 minutes.
- Before serving top with shredded lettuce, bacon and pickle slices.
- Hot water and xanthan gum are key for thickening the Queso. Let it blend on high speed at least 20 seconds. As it blends the hot water and xanthan gum will thicken the mixture. If you don’t have a high speed blender, soak the cashews in hot water for 30 minutes and drain before blending in a regular blender
- Crockpot– Brown the ground beef, onions and garlic. Add that along with all of the other ingredients except then homemade dairy free queso to the pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours. About 20 minutes before serving, add the homemade queso and mix together.
- If you need a sub for xanthan gum, feel free to use 1/2 tsp tapioca flour dissolved in a tablespoon of water. This will however have more carbs than xanthan gum.
- Storage: Will last one week in the fridge in an air tight container.
- Nutrition is calculated with 1/2 slice of bacon/ 6 NET CARBS per serving
- Category: Main Dish/Soup
- Method: Stovetop/Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cups (Estimate)
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 483
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 37
- Cholesterol: 85
Keywords: cheeseburger soup, bacon cheeseburger soup, keto soup, whole30, dairy free, paleo, soup recipes