Y’all, I love me some Chinese food…..like LOVE it. Even though the takeout version is totally easy on a Friday night after a long week at work, I still try to stay away from it because of all the unhealthy ingredients. Another thing I love more than Chinese food is my magical Instant Pot. It really makes life and cooking so easy. I created this yummy spin on my favorite Chinese takeout dish, Instant Pot Mongolian Beef that can be cooked and on the table in less than 20 minutes. There is more good news pretty people, it is Whole30 and Paleo compliant and truly tastes better than the takeout version. TRUST!
The thinly sliced flanked steak along with the coconut aminos, pineapple OR orange juice gives it both a savory and sweet flavor that is droll worthy. The tapioca flour is a great substitute for corn start that give the sauce a thick and creamy texture that really brings the dish to life. Serve over steamed cauliflower rice and you have yourself a healthy and yummy twist on the traditional takeout version
If you are busy and don’t have time to get in the kitchen and cook a healthy meal, I highly suggest buying an Instant Pot and study up on how to use it correctly. It will save you so much time and you can start creating healthy meals that the whole family will love and rely on takeout or fast food when you are tired. My Instant Pot allows me to be resourceful and create meals that would usually take me forever to make on the stove or oven.
This is a great meal to quickly make on a Sunday evening and use for leftovers during the week. I have somewhat of a picky 3 year old and she loves this dish and would eat it every single night of the week. She thinks that the cauliflower is actual rice and loves the sweet taste of the creamy sauce. The first time I made this, my husband thought it was actually from our Chinese restaurant down the road.
If you are in a pinch on time tonight, pull out your Instant Pot and get cooking.
Click below to save to your Pinterest board.Print
A spin on the traditional takeout Mongolian Beef that is Whole30, and Paleo compliant.
- 1 lb Flank Steak (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
- green onions
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (steamed)
- 3 garlic cloves (Pressed or finely chopped)
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice (or sub orange juice)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 dates (soaked in water)
- 2 1/2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set to saute and allow time to heat up.
- Thinly slice the flank steak and add to a mixing bowl. Combine until the tapioca flour coats all parts of the steak.
- Add 1 tbsp of ghee and a little olive oil and the pressed garlic to the pot and place the steak pieces in. This will need to be done in 2-3 batches to get all pieces of the steak crispy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sauce along with the thinly chopped dates.
- Before adding in the sauce, turn the settings on the instant pot to high pressure.
- Add in the sauce and lock the lid making sure the top vent is sealed.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- The tapioca flour from the steak will allow the sauce to get nice a thick.
- Heat up the cauliflower as desired and serve with the Mongolian beef along with green onion and sesame seeds.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, feel free to add the steak and sauce to the crock-pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Asian