Broccoli Chicken “Cheddar” Soup (Keto + Whole30)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
BROCCOLI CHICKEN “CHEDDAR” SOUP
My new Broccoli Chicken “Cheddar” Soup will absolutely warm your soul. It is completely dairy and gluten, but tastes so close to the real thing. My dairy free queso that I used in this recipe is a real show stopper and makes the soup so creamy.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THIS BROCCOLI CHICKEN “CHEDDAR” SOUP
- Using HOT coconut milk and xanthan gum is a must when making the homemade queso.
- If you do not have a high-speed blender, soak cashews in hot water for at least 2 hours before making the queso. Drain and continue using the instruction in recipe card below.
WHAT MAKES THIS SOUP CHEESY IF IT IS DAIRY FREE?
In place of cheese, I used my dairy free homemade queso. To make, I mix hot coconut milk, nutritional yeast, cashews, cauliflower rice and xanthan gum. This mixture gives me a thick and creamy dairy free queso that has a close taste to real life cheese. It’s perfect for dipping or to add in soups and casserole to get a creamy and cheesy texture.
HOW TO STORE THIS BROCCOLI CHICKEN “CHEDDAR” SOUP
Fridge: The simplest way to store this soup is in the fridge. Transfer any leftover soup to an airtight container with a lid. It’s best to let the soup cool fully before adding to the fridge. This soup will last between 3- 4 days. To reheat, you can throw it in the microwave or add in to a pot on the stove.
Freezer: Transfer any leftover soup to an airtight freezer proof container with a lid. Make sure to cool the soup to room temperature before transferring it to the freezer. Food that is is slightly warm is more prone to forming ice crystals.
SHOP MY POST
WANT MORE HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES?
Broccoli Chicken "Cheddar" Soup
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegan butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups broccoli florets fresh
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced
- salt and pepper to taste
Dairy Free Queso
- 1 cup hot coconut milk canned unsweetened*
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- ¾ cups nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- In a large pot, add the ghee along with the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken broth, cooked chicken and broccoli . Stir together and simmer for 20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- While the soup is cooking, make the dairy free queso by adding the hot coconut milk, cashews, nutritional yeast, cauliflower rice and xanthan gum. Blend on high speed for about 20-30 seconds until the mixture becomes thick.
- Pour this mixture into the soup and stir until combined. As the soup heats the queso will melt into the mixture.
- Allow to simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes or so.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Feel free to sub hot water for the hot coconut milk. The coconut milk just gives it a creamier texture.
- Make sure the water or coconut milk is hot when making the queso. It is KEY for it to be successful. Heat in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute.
- You can use frozen broccoli. Make sure steam or thaw before using.
- 8 NET carbs per serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.