Blackened Cajun Tilapia with Avocado and Tomato Salsa
Sometimes I can get so caught up with eating chicken and red meat that I forget how satisfying and delicious fish can be. I was craving something on the lighter side the other day that would serve as a great protein option that also wouldn’t sit so heavy on my stomach. I created this Blackened Cajun Tilapia topped with Avocado and Tomato Salsa that serves as the perfect lunch or dinner.
When buying tilapia, I find that it matters which brand of fish you buy. Some cheaper options I have tried have such a fishy taste it is hard to enjoy it. The only tilapia I have found that has the perfect balance is the Colombian Tilapia that can be purchased at select Sam’s Clubs, and Costcos. This type of fish is very high quality and packed with amazing fresh flavor.
I love adding some kind of sauce or salsa when eat tilapia and this tomato and avocado salsa really balanced the whole dish perfectly. There is a little spice to the dry rub on the tilapia and the acidity of the tomatoes and lemon juice gives this dish the perfect flavor that will keep you wanting more.
For meal prep I will usually throw this salsa together on a Sunday night and keep it in the fridge to help spice up any boring protein I have planned for the week. I love adding it to my chicken breast or even eating on top of a grilled chicken salad, there are plenty of options when using this salsa.
The best new about this recipe is that it not only taste divine, but it is also Keto, Whole30 and Paleo compliant. My favorite thing in the whole wide world it to create meals that are both healthy and delicious. If you are in the same boat and eating too much beef and chicken, give this fresh new fish recipe a try.
- 6 tilapia fillets
- 2 tbsp ghee (melted)
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Pink salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
Avocado and Tomato Salsa
- 1 large cucumber (diced)
- 1/3 cup red onion (chopped)
- 1 whole avocado (diced)
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes (cut in fourths)
- 3 tbsp Cilantro (chopped )
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine your all of your seasonings into a jar and shake or mix together with a spoon.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cover with 2 or 3 tbsp of olive oil or spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Pat each fillet dry on the front and back and brush with the melted ghee and cover each side of the fillet with the Cajun dry rub.
- Place each fillet on the parchment paper and add to the oven and cook until desired doneness. Cook anywhere between 9-10 minutes for the fillets to be moist and flaky .
Avocado and Tomato Salsa
- Chop the onions, and cilantro, dice the cucumbers and slice the tomatoes into fourths, add to a mixing bowl.
- Cut the avocados and remove the pit. Slice into large cubes.
- Add in the seasoning, olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice to the veggies and mix until combined. Add to the refrigerator to chill for 1 to 2 hours or serve immediately.
- Add a tilapia fillet to a serving dish and top with fresh salsa and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Cajun
Welcome to Healthy Little Peach. I’m Mac, the lady behind the recipes. I believe in living a healthy lifestyle that consists of a mix of healthy whole foods, and full-fat comfort meals. Life is too short not to enjoy good food while maintaining a healthy body and mind. Here you will find gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, keto, and even full-fat comfort recipes. Let’s have fun in the kitchen together!