For me, it just isn’t the holidays without homemade cranberry sauce on the table. My brand new recipe contains only healthy ingredients and is Paleo and Whole30 compliant. I use dates as the main sweetener, but if you like your cranberry sauce tart then simply remove the dates.
I added crushed pineapples along with a small diced red apple to give it a little extra flavor. Not only did it turn out amazing, but it also made my house smell like Christmas. Homemade cranberry sauce is so much better than going and buying the store bought canned version and this recipe doesn’t take a ton of ingredients.
This recipe can be done under 15 mins and can serve as part of your meal and your potpourri, It’s a win-win. Simply top with lemon zest before serving and you have yourself the BEST EVER homemade cranberry sauce that will look perfect on your holiday table.
This sauce can also come in handy after the holidays if you have leftovers. I love adding leftover ham to a lettuce wrap and covering it with this sauce. It is so good and simple. In addition I love adding some to my creamy chicken salad. I know it might sound weird, but it is seriously so delicious.
Don’t forget to pin this to your Pinterest board. Click the picture below.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check these out:
This is a classic cranberry sauce with a twist that incorporates apples, pineapples and lemon zest. Whole30 & Paleo compliant. The perfect addition to your holiday meal.
- 4 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 small apple peeled and diced into small chunks
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- OPTIONAL for additional sweetness add 6 dates soaked hot water
- Soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes. Peel the top layer of the dates and take the back of a spoon and mash the insides of the dates until smooth. (This step is optional. If you don’t add the dates, the sauce will be tart with a slight amount of sweetness from the pineapple).
- Turn stove on medium heat and place the cranberries, water, lemon zest, diced apples, crushed pineapples, orange and pineapple juice, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer over medium to high heat. Allow the mixture to cook for 7 minutes or until the cranberries start to pop and burst.
- As the mixture heats, all the ingredients will cook down and thicken into a delicious sauce. This usually take 12-15 minutes. Top with fresh lemon zest and serve
If you want this recipe to be more chunky, simply use 1/4 cup water instead of 1/2 cup.
- Category: Sauce