I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, soup season is the BEST season. Once September hits, all I crave is soup. Needless to say, I have been in the kitchen like a mad women creating all kinds of new healthy soup recipes. This new Whole30 Tuscan Sausage Soup will make all of your dreams come try. It is cozy, creamy and so comforting to the soul. Only 6 NET CARBS per bowl.
Ingredient needed for this Whole30 Tuscan Sausage Soup:
- Ground sausage
- Chicken broth
- Baby spinach
- Sundried tomatoes
- Yellow onion
- Nutritional yeast
- Coconut milk, unsweetened canned
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic cloves
- Dairy free cream cheese (Kite Hill for Whole30) OPTIONAL*
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
How to make:
In a medium skillet, add the olive oil, sausage, minced garlic and onions and brown until cooked through completely. Remove and transfer to a plate with a paper towel so that the grease can drain.
Allow these ingredients to cook together until it becomes creamy and the cream cheese is completely melted, around 30 minutes or so. Add the baby spinach and let this simmer another 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for this soup:
- Make sure not to add the spinach too early. If cooking on the stovetop, be sure to add it in the last 5 minutes of cooking. The longer you cook it the more stringy it gets. To keep the freshness, make sure to add at the very end.
- For additional creaminess, add the optional dairy free cream cheese. This takes the soup to a different level. The coconut milk that is included in the recipe gives it a nice creamy texture, but adding the dairy free cream cheese takes it up a notch.
Can you make this Whole30 Tuscan Sausage Soup in the crock-pot?
Yes, you can cook in the crock-pot, but there are a few modifications you will need to make. First, you will still have to brown your sausage before adding to the crock pot in addition to leaving out the fresh spinach until the last 5 minutes of cooking. Everything else can be added and cooked on low for 6-7 hours.
Are Nut Cheeses Whole30 Compliant?
“Nut cheeses and dips ARE compliant on the program, with a strong caveat that these should be used with caution, especially if you know you rely on cheese as a comfort or stress-relieving food, OR if cheese is a trigger for other food cravings (like wine or crackers). As with Larabars or almond butter, Whole30 HQ and our Coaches all recommend that program participants use with caution, and think critically about whether including these foods in their Whole30 is a healthy choice, given their contexts and goals.”
Whole30 Compliant Brands of Dairy Free Cream Cheese:
- Nush Cheese Natural
- Pamela Creamery Creamy Nutcheese Original
To save time, I will even make a couple of batches of this soup and freeze on batch and use the other as meal prep. I will prep a big pot on a Sunday and store in individual glass containers and eat on it through the week for lunch and dinner. In my opinion, as the soup sits, it gets better. I usually only allow it to sit in the fridge for up to a week before throwing it out. However, if you want to store in the freezer, it can last up to 3 months
SHOP MY POST
This creamy and savory Whole30 Tuscan Sausage is filled with ground sausage, dairy free cream cheese, spinach, onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, coconut milk and chicken broth. Super easy to make and can be on your dinner table in 40 minutes. Keto, Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free. Only 6 NET carbs.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup dairy free cream cheese (Kite Hill for Whole30) OPTIONAL*
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, add the olive oil, sausage, minced garlic and onions and brown until cooked through completely. Remove and transfer to a plate with a paper towel so that the grease can drain.
- In a large Dutch Oven or pot, add the cooked sausage, chicken broth, nutritional yeast, sundried tomatoes, onions coconut milk, dairy free cream cheese, salt/pepper and Italian seasoning
- Allow these ingredients to cook together until it becomes creamy and the cream cheese is completely melted, around 30 minutes or so. Add the baby spinach and let this simmer another 5 minutes.
- Crockpot Version: First, you will still have to brown your sausage before adding to the crock pot in addition to leaving out the fresh spinach until the last 5 minutes of cooking. Everything else can be added and cooked on low for 6-7 hours.
- Favorite Whole30 sundried tomato compliant brand: Mezzetta Sun-Ripened Dried Tomatoes. There are a lot of other compliant brands, just make sure to read ingredient lists.
- Category: Main Dish/Soup
- Method: Stovetop/Crockpot
- Cuisine: Whole30, Paleo, Keto
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 2
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 9
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 17
Keywords: Tuscan Sausage Soup, Keto Soup, Whole30, Dairy Free, Paleo, Soup