Keto French Onion Dip (DF + Whole30)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Keto French Onion Dip will make your jaw drop. I am dead serious! I grew up on store bought French Onion Dip and this recipe literally takes the cake. It’s creamy, savory and is bursting with tons of amazing flavors. Serve as a dip or even slap some over a protein for additional flavor.
HOW TO SERVE THIS KETO FRENCH ONION DIP?
If you are not doing Keto or Whole30, you can serve with chips and crackers. If you are looking to keep it clean, below are some great ideas for dipping.
- Pork Rinds (Keto)
- Mini Peppers
- Sliced radishes
TIPS & TRICKS
- Caramelize The Onions: This is key for the dip to turn out. Cooking the onions at least 25 minutes in ghee will get them nice and brown.
- Hand Held Mixer: Use a hand held mixer instead of a wooden spoon to combine the dip. This will give it more of a whipped texture that is super creamy.
- Chill Before Serving: Chilling before serving is always recommended for best results. As the dip sits in the fridge, the more flavor it gets!
- It’s More Than a Dip: If you have a boring piece of protein that needs more flavor, slap this dip on top. It can also serve as a bomb sauce.
ARE NUT CHEESES WHOLE30 COMPLIANT?
This is a question that is asked a lot by the Whole30 community. Below is Whole30 creator, Melissa Urban’s answer:
“Nut cheeses and dips ARE compliant on the program, with a strong caveat that these should be used with caution, especially if you know you rely on cheese as a comfort or stress-relieving food, OR if cheese is a trigger for other food cravings (like wine or crackers). As with Larabars or almond butter, Whole30 HQ and our Coaches all recommend that program participants use with caution, and think critically about whether including these foods in their Whole30 is a healthy choice, given their contexts and goals.”
WHOLE30 COMPLIANT BRANDS OF CREAM CHEESE AND SOUR CREAM
- Kitehill Plain Cream Cheese
- Nush Cheese Natural
- Pamela Creamery Creamy Nutcheese Original
- Forager Sour Cream
Shop My Keto French Onion Dip Post
Want More Healthy Recipes?Print
Keto French Onion Dip (DF + Whole30)
This Keto French Onion Dip is a creamy and delectable dip is filled with minimal ingredients and can be whipped up in no time. Pair it with sliced cucumbers or mini peppers for the perfect appetizer. Keto, Whole30 and Dairy Free. Only 4 NET carbs per serving!
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings (16 ounces) 1x
- 1 (12 ounce) container dairy free sour cream (Forager)
- 4 ounces dairy free cream cheese* (Kite Hill)
- 1 1/2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions to the butter and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Then reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once carnalized, remove from stove and allow to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl add all of the ingredients including the caramelized onions. Using a hand held mixer, mix on medium speed until combined.
- Serve immediately or for best results, chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Kite Hill Cream Cheese and Forager Sour Cream are both compliant brands for Whole30 and Keto.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week in an air tight container.
- For the 4 oz. of cream cheese, I just use half the container.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizer/Dip
- Method: Stovetop
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving (2 ounces)
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 191
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 30
Keywords: Keto French Onion Dip, Dip, Whole30, Keto, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Okay! So good! I didn’t have the sour cream so I used dairy free almond milk yogurt instead! Make sure you let it sit in the fridge because that caramelized onion really seeps in and it is GLORIOUS! I added some chives to the mix just to amp it up and it was great as well! Thanks for the recipe!
Thrilled to hear you loved the Onion Dip. So thrilled you were able to make adjustments to make it perfect. Thanks so much for the kind words of support.
Hi, can I use onion powder instead of onions? & if so, how much should I put in?, I just like a mild light flavor of onion.
Hi Kelly…..you absolutely can use onion powder instead. I’m not sure how much to use since I’ve never tried the recipe with that ingredient, but you are certainly welcome to try and see. Thanks so much Kelly.
Can I substitute onion powder instead of the onions? & if so, how much should I use?.
I have not tried that. So I can’t give you a for sure measurement. Feel free to play around with it and report back if you find an amount that works.