Spicy Smoked Queso Dip Recipe
This smoked queso dip is made from a blend of cheeses, chorizo sausage, and the perfect blend of spice. A mouth-watering, crowd-pleasing dip that’s easy to make on the grill, the smoker, or a crock pot! Plus, it’s low carb, has minimal prep time, and is always a hit!
Servings: 10 -12 servings
- 1 pound chorizo or hamburger meat cooked and drained
- 32 oz Velveeta chopped in cubes
- 12 oz pepper jack cheese cubes
- 4 oz can chopped chiles
- 4 oz can chopped jalapenos
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 sweet onion diced
- Garnish- Jalapeno slices and cilantro
- 1/4 cup beer or milk OPTIONAL*
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Preheat Traeger grill to 250.
While the grill is preheating, brown the chorizo in a medium skillet over medium/high heat. Once cooked, remove and drain the meat.
To a large disposable aluminum pan, add the cooked chorizo, chopped onions, diced tomatoes, diced jalapeñoes, green chiles, seasonings, Velveeta, and pepper jack cheese to the pan.
Place the pan on the Traeger at 250 for a minimum of 45 minutes.
Stir the cheese mixture and add either beer or milk to thin the cheese and smoke for 25 more minutes.
Garnish with jalapenos and cilantro. Serve with warm tortilla chips.
Add all the ingredients except the beer or milk to the crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours, or until all the cheese has melted.
Once cooked, reduce heat to the WARM setting and mix in the beer or milk to thin it out bit. Make sure to keep the setting to WARM so it will help keep the queso hot for serving. You can keep it on this setting for up to 4 hours.
Heat up your grill.
Place a pan of water directly on the grate of your grill and fill about two-thirds full with hot water to add moisture inside the grill.
Place the foil pan of smoked queso ingredients on the other side of the grill over a drip pan.
Heat until it's all melted together, stir, and serve!
- Liquid Smoke: If you choose to use the crockpot or regular grill methods, use a couple of drops of this to add the delicious smoke flavor. You can find these drops at most grocery stores or on Amazon.
- Protein Alternative: If you don’t prefer to use chorizo sausage, you can also use ground beef, ground chicken, or ground pork sausage instead. You could even try it with breakfast sausage. Follow the same instructions for cooking it before adding it to the queso.
- Foil Pans: I like disposable foil pans because 1. You can cook in and serve from the same pan! 2. They typically come with lids, so they're easy to transport and store leftovers. Cover with foil before sealing with the lid for extra protection!
- Serve this smoked queso dip with tortilla chips, veggie sticks, or, if you prefer, low-carb chips or crackers!
- You can also use this as a topping for burgers or nachos!
- Store leftover queso dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, and give it a good stir with a spoon before serving.