- 1 box double chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup oil (plus 1 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup instant chocolate pudding mix
- 6 strawberries (cut in half)
- 1/3 cup melted milk chocolate (for drizzle)
- 2 sticks butter ((or 1 cup))
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a (12) cup muffin pan with white paper cupcake liners. (If you have extra batter, add to an additional muffin pan.
- Add the box cake mix to a bowl along with the 1/3 cup instant chocolate pudding mix. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Instead of adding water, sub 1 1/4 cup whole milk, along with an additional egg (4 total) and 1/3 cup oil plus 1 tbsp.
- Pour half the wet mixture into the dry and mix together. Continue adding the other half of the dry mix until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into the liners. Fill only halfway (don’t go overboard here, make sure to just do halfway so they rise correctly). Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Top with a fresh strawberry and drizzle with melted milk chocolate.
- In a stand up mixer or hand mixer, whip the butter together on medium/high speed until fluffy (around 4 mins). Sift the confectioners’ sugar before slowly adding to the butter.
- Slowly in your confectioners’ sugar (1 cup at a time) along with gradually adding in your whole milk. Mix until combined. (Adjust the consistency of the frosting as needed by adding more confectioners’ sugar or cream).
- Add the vanilla extract and continue mixing on medium and beat all ingredients together for 2-3 minutes. Here you will add more milk to thicken out the icing. If the icing becomes too thin, add in a little confectioners sugar.
- Once cupcakes are cool, use a piping bag and ice cupcakes as desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert