- Add a large pot to low heat. Transfer the canned green beans, undrained and chicken broth or water to the pot. Make sure the liquid covers the green beans. Tear the onion slices into medium size pieces and add to the beans along with the ghee, garlic, bacon and salt/pepper.
- Cook uncovered for 6 hours on low. Make sure to check back on the green beans throughout the day. As it cooks it will get low on liquid, so be sure to add more chicken broth or water as needed. If they do not have enough liquid they may shrivel and get crispy.
- Once the beans are done cooking, remove the bacon and chop into smaller pieces and add back to the green beans.
- As for the liquid you can use chicken broth or water. I love using chicken broth because it give the beans a lot of great flavor.
- Be sure to check back on the beans frequently to make sure it has enough liquid. Make sure there is always liquid slightly covering the beans.
- You can cook in the crockpot on low for 6 hours. However, I just don’t like them as well as the stovetop version.
- Store any leftover green beans in Tupperware and in the fridge for up to one week.
- Canned green beans are the best. You can use fresh but it will not taste near as good as canned.
- 7 NET carbs per serving
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 594
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 14
Keywords: Southern Green Beans, Green Beans, Slow Cooked Green Beans, Side Dish, Whole30, Keto, Paleo