The perfect Smoked Garlic Herb Butter Turkey that can be on the dinner table in 3 hours. This turkey is covered in ghee, fresh sage, rosemary, thyme, Italian seasoning and salt/pepper. Whole30, Keto, Paleo and Gluten Free.
- 10–14 pound turkey
- 1 cup ghee, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse pepper
- Set the smoker temperature to 350F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. Place the thawed turkey in the sink and clean out the cavity of the bird. Cut the tailbone off the bottom of the turkey and rinse. Place on a cutting board and pat the whole turkey dry with a paper towel.
- Chop the herbs and transfer to a small mixing bowl along with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 cup of ghee at room temperature. Mix together with a spoon until combined.
- Spread the butter mixture under the skin of the turkey, the turkey breast and any other places you can get to on the turkey. Once the butter and herbs are covering the turkey, sprinkle the other 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and the Italian seasoning over the turkey.
- Place the turkey on the grill and cook for 3 hours. Be sure to check the internal temperature around 2 1/2 hours (just to check the temperature). The final temperature should be 175F in the thigh and 160F in the breast.
- Remove from the grill. If desired add 3 tablespoons of melted ghee to a bowl with 2 garlic cloves pressed and mix together. Using a basting brush, dip in the garlic ghee and brush over the turkey before serving.
- Carve and enjoy.
- If you can’t find fresh herbs, feel free to sub dried.
- Feel free to use a knife to sperate the skin from the muscle. This will make adding the butter under the skin much easier.
- If you want to use the neck and giblets, click here for my Paleo Giblet Gravy recipe.
- Nutrition is calculated for a 1o pound turkey.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Smoker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 554
- Fat: 20
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 26
- Cholesterol: 134
Keywords: Smoked Turkey, Smoked Garlic Herb Butter Turkey, Turkey, Thanksgiving, Healthy Thanksgiving, Paleo, Whole30, Keto