I have told you guys before that recipes will come to me in dreams. The other night I dreamed about making a Keto/Paleo Caramel Sauce. I woke up the next morning on a mission to do just that. It took me a full day and about 6 times of retesting, but I did it, I made the perfect Keto Caramel Sauce.
This recipe took so long to get right because you have to use the right Keto sweetener to get the right taste and consistency. I tested a TON and found 2 that is perfect for a keto caramel sauce. See my recommendations below for my must have sweeteners.
What are the best Paleo and Keto sweeteners to use for this Caramel Sauce recipe?
- Paleo: coconut sugar is a must. It is honestly my favorite one to use because it gives the caramel that pretty dark color.
- Keto: Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener Golden – blend of erythritol and monk fruit extract. Swerve Brown (brown sugar substitute) These 2 sweeteners are also consisdered Paleo. When using these for this caramel sauce, you may need to add xanthan gum or tapioca flour to give it more of a sticky consistency.
- Feel free to use any other Keto sweetener of choice, but through testing, I found that Monkfruit Golden and Swerve Brown were the best options.
Tips for getting the best Keto Caramel Sauce?
- Think slow and steady for this recipe. If you try to rush the caramel, it will burn and you will be left with a mess. Be patient and allow it to come together in a 30-40 minute time frame.
- When adding the tapioca flour, make sure to dissolve it in water first. This will allow it to mix in completely without clumping.
- If using xanthan gum, add in as your whisk vigorously to ensure it incorporates well.
- Use a candy thermometer to make sure you get the temperature right. You want the caramel to reach 350F.
How long can this Caramel Sauce last in the fridge?
If stored in an air tight container, such as a Weck Jar, it will last up to 2 weeks. Simply remove and reheat. See reheating instructions below:
If the caramel sauce is in a microwave-safe container at room temperature, microwave it on high power for 1 minute, stirring twice. If cold, it will take a few seconds more. Alternatively, place it in a bowl in a pan of simmering water and heat, stirring occasionally, until warm, about 7 minutes
Be sure to click on the picture below to save this to your Pinterest Board
Shop my post
Click below for more of my favorite dessert recipes!
- Paleo Apple Pie Energy Bites
- Paleo Apple Crumble Bars
- Keto/ Paleo Vanilla Ice Cream
- Keto/Paleo Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Brownies with Cinnamon Frosting