GROUND BEEF FILLING:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup baby carrots, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1– 14.5 oz. can cut green beans (drained)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or tapioca flour
- Fresh parsley for garnish
CAULIFLOWER MASH TOPPING:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make the cauliflower recipe below and set to the side.
- Add the ghee to a large cast iron skillet (12 inch) and place it over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Transfer the ground beef to the skillet and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the meat is browned, stirring occasionally.
Once the meat is browned add in the can of green beans (drained), chopped carrots, mushrooms. Mix together with a wooden spoon and cook 4 minutes or so.
Add in the tomato paste, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, dried thyme, salt, pepper and xanthan gum . Stir until well incorporated and no clumps of the tomato paste remain.
Bring the liquid/meat mixture to a boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
CAULIFLOWER MASH TOPPING:
- Bring 1 head of cauliflower to a boil and cook for 10 mins or steam 2 bags of cauliflower rice in the microwave per instructions on the package. Drain liquid from the cauliflower and add to the food processor with garlic powder, chives, ghee, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Blend together until smooth and top with fresh chives. Make sure NOT over blend or it will turn into a soupy puree. Transfer the cauliflower mash to a bowl and top with ghee, salt, pepper and chives
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the heat. Spoon the cauliflower mash in an even layer over the meat mixture and carefully spread out.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Turn on the broil the last 3 minutes to get a nice crisp on the top. Be sure to watch it so it doesn’t burn.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you do not have a cast iron skillet, use a 9×9 or 7×11 baking dish.
- 7 NET CARBS PER SERVING!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Whole30, Gluten Free, Keto
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 910
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 40
- Cholesterol: 98
Keywords: Keto Shepard's Pie, Cottage Pie, Keto, Casserole, Whole30, Paleo, Healthy Comfort Food