- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1–15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoon garam masala* see notes
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, canned
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and set to SAUTE. Once hot, add the, garlic and diced onions and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, curry powder, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, chili powder, and salt.
- Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn the Instant Pot to OFF.
- Add in the chicken broth and stir, making sure to scrap any burnt piece off the bottom.
- Add the tomato sauce and ghee, stir to combine.
- Place the diced chicken breasts on top of the sauce.
- Close and seal Instant Pot. Cook on Manual (HIGH) pressure for 12 minutes. Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent to immediately release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid and stir in the coconut milk.
- Remove from heat and serve with cauliflower rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- If you are having a hard time finding garma masala, see my above heading where I provide a homemade mixture.
- Storing leftovers: Place the butter chicken in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To thaw frozen butter chicken: Place the container in the refrigerator and let thaw overnight.
- To reheat: Mix your desired portion of rice and butter chicken. Warm in the microwave or on stovetop.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Whole30, Paleo, Keto
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 503
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 36
Keywords: Butter Chicken, Instant Pot Butter Chicken, Instant Pot Recipes, Chicken, Chicken Recipes