A hearty and filling Chicken & Rice Soup with Cheese Quesadillas. If you are needing the perfect comfort meal that is sure to please a crowd, give this recipe a try!
Chicken & Rice Soup
- 4 cups shredded chicken (can you boiled chicken breast or even use rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups brown rice (or cauliflower rice)
- 1 12 oz bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1 tbsp ghee (divided)
Chicken & Rice Soup
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the ghee along with the minced garlic. Mix together for a minute or so.
- Transfer the shredded chicken to the pot and allow the ghee, garlic and chicken cook together for 3-4 minutes. (This gives the chicken a great flavor)
- Pour in the chicken and beef broth in the pot with the chicken. Bring the liquid to a boil and then add the . Add in the rice and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the frozen peas and carrots in the broth and allow all this to cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ghee and allow to melt down completely.
- Place one large tortilla in the bottom of the skillet and evenly add the shredded cheese on top of the tortilla.
- Place the second tortilla on top of the cheese. Cook 2 minutes on each side until browned and cheese melted.
- To make this Paleo and Whole30 compliant, simply sub cauliflower rice for the brown rice. Peas are now Whole30 compliant. Rules changed Feb 2020
- For the shredded chicken you can use rotisserie chicken. Just remove the skin and shred using a fork.
- To cook the chicken for the soup, bring a pot of water on the stove and add four chicken breast. Boil the chicken until the internal temperature is 165F. This will take about 6-7 minutes or so. Drain the water and shred the chicken once it is cooled. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken.
- The nutritional facts are for 1 serving of the soup and does not include the cheese quesadilla.
- Category: Soup/Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 1.8
- Sodium: 1140
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 32.1