- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 3-pound butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 3 large carrots (diced in big chunks)
- 1 medium onion (quarter the onion, big chunks)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pumpkin seeds and thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large roasting sheet with parchment paper. Place the butternut squash, carrots, onion, and garlic on a roasting sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add to the top shelf of your oven. Roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of roasting, remove the onions, carrots, and garlic. Roast the squash for 25 more minutes. Make sure it is fork-tender and allow it to cool before scooping out the squash.
- Once cool, start scooping out the inside and transfer the squash and carrots to your blender (I use a Vitamix) along with the onions and garlic. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock. Depending on desired consistency, add more broth for thinner soup and less for a thicker consistency.
- Add in the ghee and coconut milk and blend until all ingredients are smooth.
- Add more seasoning to taste and top with bacon, fresh thyme, and pumpkin seeds. Drizzle everything with fresh coconut milk to make the flavors explode.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to one week and freeze for 3-5 months.
For a dairy-free option, replace ghee with vegan butter.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Dish/Soup
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 3.6
- Sodium: 869
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 12
Keywords: roasted butternut squash, butternut squash soup, whole30, paleo, healthy